Pages

Friday, September 11, 2026

Just 3 Things | #44

The Mister spent some time indoors this week and I was thankful. It is still so very hot outside that I am concerned that he will overheat when he is out there for long stretches. I do sometimes sort of like it when he acts like an old guy and kicks back in the recliner to watch seventy year old westerns! (Gunsmoke premiered on television on September 10, 1955, and ran for twenty years. It is one of the Mister's favorites.)

- What I've Been Working On -

I decided this week to try something a little different with my sewing and embroidering. I was awaiting the arrival of a supply shipment of foam stabilizer for stitching up another tote bag and some zippers in colors and sizes that I ran out of. So, I cruised through the interwebs and noticed that some folks were stitching up Christmas ornaments. Eureka! What a great idea! I have been gifting an ornament to the grandchildren each year for a while. So, I decided I might give a go at stitching one up. In my mind that would be similar to creating a bag tag

I have been reading where folks are using a stiff felt for bag tags and decided I would put that knowledge to work for creating an ornament or two. 


Let me just say, I am thrilled! Like a bag tag, making an ornament that is decorated on both sides is a bit of a thought process and takes some wiggling. The thing is, though, the stitching on that stiff felt turns out absolutely beautifully. 

I used the baseball bag tag design I had purchased. I started by stitching out the recipient's name and the year on a piece of felt. In this case, I used orange because he was a part of Team Tennessee this summer for the World Series. That became the back side of the ornament.


On the front side I stitched out the bag tag as it was designed and added my favorite baseball player's number.


Where the split ring would generally go for a key ring or bag tag, I just ran a piece of cording and tied a bit of coordinating ribbon onto it. Each ornament is somewhere between four and five inches in diameter. 

I'm already dreaming of more ideas for ornaments and perusing what designs are available! Here are some I am considering or maybe these or these. I'm thinking I could applique fabrics onto the felt to change things up. Of course, the perfect, preciseness of the stitching might not be there with another fabric appliqued onto the felt but it is just the right thickness and stiffness to make pretty ornaments!

This may be the year of the ornaments. You get a hand-stitched ornament! And YOU get an ornament! And YOU get an ornament!


- What I've Been Reading -

I just finished reading Carol Burnett's book about her relationship with her daughter who was lost to cancer. In some ways it was heart-wrenching and in some ways it was enlightening. Burnett shares the painful struggle her family and daughter, Carrie, experienced through her teenage drug addiction. She also shares stories of Carrie's successes as an adult and hard-fought battle with cancer ending with death at the young age of thirty-eight. 

The thing I walked away with most from the pages of that book is an affirmation that parenting is never easy. Burnett's family had far fewer financial worries than ours but they still had the difficult parts of growing up and becoming independent. It also drives home how a parent's job of being the guide for their children is never an easy one. Finally, it also emphasized to me that even though our roles evolve over the years as parents and children, we still have a strong bond of love and hope. 

Even though I finished reading the book a day or so ago, I thought about it again today when I was reading The Good List for the week from The New York Times. The author shares one more thing at the end of the list about how a woman wrote her husband a letter each year for their anniversary. The woman claimed that she learned of a father who wrote to his child each year on her birthday. Wouldn't that be a beautiful gift? What a keepsake to have throughout ones life. 

- What I've Been Loving -

A friend or two has stopped by during the past few days and we always welcome a friendly face around here! One was the Mister's cousin who is an entrepreneur with a lighting business who worked for years at the local electric company and he had stopped to pick up sausage from the Mister. I was working on my own bandana tote and he peeked over my shoulder and said, "What are you working on? It really looks interesting." I explained that I was creating a tote that I had seen online and he wanted to know what I would charge to make one for his wife. I jokingly told him that I didn't think anybody would be able to afford a bag made by me because it was slow going and lots of thinking and sewing. Remember, it was my first tote and I was still deep into the learning phase. Yet, I loved his reaction to what I was creating.


I've progressed and made a couple more totes as gifts for the granddaughters and then used the leftover bandanas to make them a 'set' for Christmas. One of the granddaughters was snooping on her mom's phone and saw one of the sets and told her mother that she really liked it. I loved hearing that reaction. So, at least I am on the right track for gifts for one member of the family anyway.


Then, another friend stopped by a couple of days ago and she noticed all of the totes, zip pouches, and wreath sashes that I've got laid out in the basement bedroom. She was amazed and immediately gravitated toward the totes. I loved her reaction to the things I had fun creating! She asked me if I was going to sell them and I gave her the same reply - I would have to charge more than I think folks would be willing to pay. I did ponder about how I could make the creation process simpler and tried my ideas by creating a tote for one of the granddaughters. After all, we have seven granddaughters. 


I realized the process was still pretty labor intensive and thought some more before creating a tote for another granddaughter. I've been thinking and watching videos and reading since then. I've got an idea or two for improving my method and plan to start the fourth tote next week. Ironically, the Mister had another friend stop in yesterday and he noticed my tote hanging on a dining room chair. He asked the Mister if I might be interested in making one for his wife. Here is the thing. We have ten grandchildren and I have set a goal for myself to create gifts for all of them for Christmas. Then, we also gift their parents. So, that makes a total of eighteen family gifts and that doesn't include gifts for extended family and friends and so on. Plus, I have only been retired for a couple of years. I have a variety of things I like to do with my time and, yes, one is sewing and machine embroidery. I worked hard for most of my life and am enjoying the days where I choose what I do and whether I complete a task or not. If I go into the business of creating these totes, I will be back at it full time, I fear. Even if I only took a few orders, I would be working on a daily basis and I'm not sure that there is a large enough profit margin that could be made for the work input. Unlike when I was younger, I am not looking for a way to earn extra money and stay at home with my children. Oh, we could use the extra money, don't get me wrong. However, we are making ends meet right now and I am enjoying the opportunity to just play and putter and create gifts for family. I love my time spent with my new sewing and embroidery machine. It keeps me learning and doing and trying things. So, am I being selfish to just say no to folks who would like to pay for my creations?

I hope it is cooler wherever you are than it is right here. We are off this weekend to a local fair to watch some of the grandchildren exhibit their cattle.

No comments:

Post a Comment