Pages

Monday, September 7, 2026

Labor Day


I had almost forgotten that this is a federal holiday. Then, when I was 'waking up the house' this morning by opening window blinds, I noticed the flag posted out at the end of the driveway. Our local high school band offers this service for a fee. We get a flag at the end of the driveway 5 times a year and they get a little income. I always like to see the flag at the road and it is nice to drive through our little small town and see all the flags posted near the roadways. 

Labor Day became an official American holiday in 1894 when President Grove Cleveland declared it a federal holiday. It is celebrated here and in our neighboring Canada on the first Monday of September each year. It began in the late 19th century during the industrial growth of America. Unions wanted a day to thank workers for their hard work. This holiday sort of marks the unofficial end of summer. (It was cooler here today, so that is a plus!)

No comments:

Post a Comment