Maybe it is because they were popular during my youth and I can recall dancing September nights away. Maybe it is the sound of the brass horns mixed with the nonsensical lyrics. Who knows?! I am still a fan of the group, though.
I recently read an article about how the song came to be written by Al McKay, Maurice White of Earth Wind and Fire, and Allee Willis. I really learned so much about Willis that I didn't know and I have sort of become a fan of her as well!
Maybe it is because she is the same age as me. Maybe it is because she is touted to be "the most interesting woman you never heard of" by the Washington Post. Maybe it is because she is such a creative person.
She was the writer of the theme song for Friends, "I'll Be There For You," "Boogie Wonderland," and "September," for Earth, Wind, and Fire, and "Neutron Dance" for the Pointer Sisters. She co-authored the musical adaptation of "The Color Purple" as well. There is a string of accomplishments - just Google her name to see!
Willis claimed that the nonsensical words and the date September 21st are all Maurice White. The date was said to, "Just sing better." She fought with White over the 'bad de ya' line till the last hour. She said she conceded when he told her, "Never let the lyrics get in the way of the groove." It was a lesson she applied throughout her career.
Do you remember the twenty-first day of September?
No comments:
Post a Comment