If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.

Friday, October 2, 2026

Just 3 Things | #47

I learned today that in our area we have had thirty-five consecutive days without measurable rainfall. That is creeping up close to a record that was set in 1963. That is a long time record that we have a pretty good chance of breaking! We also had temperatures creep back up into the sweltering level. The local meteorologists say we are looking at some cooler days ahead and maybe even some rain for the weekend. I'm hoping we don't break the dry weather record. When did I get to be the old person who always talks about the weather?! 

This week I worked on some quick projects and stitched up a little something for myself. I ordered some fabric to make pillowcases for the grandsons. I'd been seeing lots of frilly and lacey and girly pillowcases and the idea hit me that one doesn't see much like that in the way of masculine-looking styles. Guys probably don't think about that sort of thing like women do but I think they probably appreciate them when it is tailored specifically for them. So, I took a little time and personalized and stitched up some pillowcases this week using this tutorial to remind me how to do it. For a couple of them I used the same fabric for the cuff as the main part of the pillowcase. I just inserted a small strip of contrast fabric to perk things up. For the other, I used three different fabrics - one for the cuff, one for the accent strip, and one for the main part of the pillowcase.


The fabrics are soft and cheerful and I think they turned out cute. For one of them, I noticed that the fabric was printed on it a bit crooked. So, to make my pillowcase fabric sit nicely when completed, I ripped the edge to straighten it. When I di that, I was left with only about six inches for the cuff and that is just way to small. So, I went digging into my fabric stash and found something that would coordinate. That means that the baseball print is not on the cuff of that pillowcase but I think it turned out wonderfully just the same. When I do a quick project like that, I really am tempted to order more fabrics and make the same for lots more folks! The pillowcases feature fabrics with prints that show each guy's interest. One is a baseball player and the other two are on bowling teams. I think these will put a smile on the guys' faces and they will see them as a fun way to brighten up their room. I believe that even stinky, middle school boys will like them! 

My first placemats

When I first got my new sewing machine, I embroidered and stitched out some placemats for the Mister and me. We have used them daily and enjoyed them. Some spills have left a few stains on them. So, I decided to make some fresh ones. I dug out the left over kitchen window treatment fabric that I had and found another fabric in my stash that would coordinate with them. Then, I went back into my pin board and found the tutorial I used for self-binding placemats. I used the same monogram font to embroider one side that I had used for the previous placemats. It is bold and stands out well on a busy print. This time I stitched it out in two shades of blue.


I made this set reversible and I used a lighter loft batting for the filler. So, I think I'm going to like that better. I ran rows of quilting stitches from top to bottom at about two inch intervals. Then, added the monogram. For the back side, I used a bit of fabric that I had left from some classroom curtains when I was teaching back in the day. So, let this be a reminder: when one buys good quality fabric, it really lasts! I embroidered a simple O and a bit of greenery in the center of that side of the placemats.


I had purchased a bundle of designs that have greenery and berries and some have bows that will frame something like a monogram letter or could stand alone as decor. These placemats are nothing fancy and were truly made using just scraps of fabric that I had in my stash. However, I created something new and useful and it will not only protect our table but brighten up our kitchen. I feel like I have a kitchen update or a treat. Who doesn't like a treat?



For this project there were lots of steps - cutting the fabric, quilting, embroidering, measuring and mapping out the self-binding part and the mitered corners, and construction stitching. Because I hadn't made the self-binding and mitered corners in quite some time, it took me a bit of reading and thinking and measuring and planning to map it all out. When I make something like that, I really appreciate the cost of custom linens a lot more. Since I took my time and read the tutorials and gave it some thought, I have little to no mistakes or frustration. That is always rewarding when creating.

- What I've Been Reading -

I read John Grebble is Gone by Peter James this week. It was a very short read but it surely promoted thought on my part. Here is the brief summary Amazon gives: John Grebble wakes up to discover he’s been declared dead. His bank account is frozen, his car repossessed, and his entire existence erased.

While reading, I just had to pause and think about what that might be like - to have one's identity not just stolen, but dispensed with, wiped out, declared over. I had some fraudulent charges on my credit card recently and it really was a headache. The card policy is great because they will alert me when there is something odd like this situation where the fraudster had tried to purchase something from a tropical juice bar and hotel rooms in New Jersey. When alerted, I let the company know that I was not in New Jersey and had no plans to be there in the near future, they began investigating and denied the charge at no cost to me. They cancelled that card and sent me another. Then, I had to update the things that I have set up to autopay from that card and places where it is my default card when I order something. That was a little bit of a headache. I could keep operating and using my check card, however, since it wasn't tied to that card. So, I cannot imagine what it would be like to have all accounts frozen and begin losing possessions because of a fraudster.

I also did a bit of thinking and investigating to find out what I need to do to make certain that the Mister or my children would have no problems sorting out my accounts when I actually do pass away. Taking care of some of that business is on my upcoming agenda. So, beyond just being an interesting read, the story also nudged me a bit. I think knowing that it is fiction made me enjoy the ending but it also made me think about how I might react as well.

-What I've Been Loving -

Lately the Mister and I have been into simple, old fashioned fare for dinner. Our breakfast and lunch habits have been about the same - sandwiches, salads, or left overs - but our attitude about dinner has changed a little bit. Last week I leaned on some simple casseroles from my younger days and they were delicious. So, this week I decided to just step into that a bit more. One night this week I made meatloaf. I had put a pot of pinto beans on to slow cook and added mashed potatoes and we had a simple country meal that the Mister talked about for a couple of days afterward. The great thing about having the meatloaf is that there was leftovers and I had a meatloaf sandwich and the Mister had it with some veggies on the side and we enjoyed it almost as much the second time around as when it was fresh out of the oven. 


I mixed up some good old fashioned pimento cheese and we ate it stuffed into a tomato and on a sandwich and with crackers for a day or two. Again, an old favorite that we just don't mix up all that often. 

We've had low calorie fare some nights as well - shrimp tacos, a salad topped with chicken, fresh stir-fried veggies and chicken. So, we haven't reverted to that old-time, high-fat, high-carb sort of diet that the old folks once lived on. It's funny how one night meatloaf and beans and taters seems just the thing and a salad seems better the following night to sort of balance things out.

I don't know if we had gotten into a rut and just were eating the same old, same old there for a while or if I had gotten lazy and didn't want to think about meal prep or what the deal was. Sometimes, shaking things up by going back to the old fashioned tastes from days gone by really makes a difference in my attitude in the kitchen. I know the Mister likes it when I lean into old-time, country farm fare and lately I've been loving it sometimes, too.

It has been a pretty quiet and ordinary week around here and those are really the best kind! I'm off to watch one of the granddaughters perform in a play this weekend. She is a member of the cast of The Addams Family. Da-Da-Da-Dup, snap, snap!

No comments:

Post a Comment