If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.

Friday, August 28, 2026

Just 3 Things | #42

I wish I could be more like Dolly. Don't we all? I think we are all mourning the loss of her and her goodness. Here in Tennessee we sort of feel like we lost one of the best parts of our entire state. She was a ray of sunshine, a philanthropist on another level, and a talented storyteller and performer. May she rest in peace.

- What I've Been Working On -

After catching up on some housekeeping chores, I've been working on stitching up gifts again this week. When I purchase an embroidery design, I try to consider different ways I might use it. I look at so many things but one of them is the number of different sizes that are available with the purchase. I'm always thinking that I might use a larger size but haven't really had a need to thus far. Then, this week I tried out one of the designs that came in a larger size. Again, I learned so much. The number one thing I learned is that a solid design like this really takes a LOT of time.

The design I stitched in a couple of sizes is a simple pumpkin with a leaf. I stitched the smallest size onto a thin gingham fabric with an iron-on stabilizer added as well as a couple of layers of tear away stabilizer. It stitched up nicely. There were a couple of thread problems when stitching the leaf veining, though. I guess it was just the heavy duty stitch concentration that caused the thread issue. The smaller one will eventually become a wreath sash with the pumpkin on one end and a monogram on the other. Then, I stitched the largest version onto a heavier weight upholstery fabric with a couple of layers of cut away stabilizer behind it. This version will eventually become a table runner with the pumpkin stitched on either end. Again, on one end the leaf veining caused some thread issues and I had to rethread my machine. Again, the design stitched up nicely. Neither is perfect, however. On the smaller version, the outline of the pumpkin on the right hand side is a bit off. On the larger version, the outline of one of the pumpkin sections is just a wee bit off. Both are still beautiful in my eyes and I am excited to give each as a gift!

- What I've Been Watching -

We haven't really been watching much this week. I started a series from Amazon Prime called Heart Guy. I think what I'm enjoying about the show is the people dynamics. The main character's dynamics with his quirky family and the dynamics with his coworkers. 


I really like watching something where there is representation of what people are really like. Oh, there is some rather exaggerated quirkiness and that just seems to add to the humor of the situations depicted. 

I also watched an episode of Reacher recently. I forget how violent this show is. I'm sure that some of that violence is a reality in this world but I'm so thankful it is not in mine. It is always rewarding when a program shows the good guy winning and I think that is what is the attraction in this program for me. Plus, I like the main character and how he breaks down things in life to their most simplistic base. This is a program that I do nothing other than watch when it is on because I would miss so many clues and vital pieces that make up the story. He is a noticer and I am always impressed by that in people. 

- What I've Been Reading -

After finishing my last book authored by Kathryn Hughes, I decided to dive into The Secret, also by her. I guess I just wasn't ready to let go of the concept that past events and the back story of those contribute to the present day. I did really enjoy The Letter and the concept of how the letter really did seem to bring people together in the end. I'm just barely into this one, so I cannot say whether I love it or not or whether it is a good follow up after reading Hughes's first book. Maybe I can report more deeply about it next week. 

I got my hair cut a little differently last week and I'm still trying to decide if that was a wise choice or not. After wearing it in a fairly single layer for a while, I asked the hair dresser to add a bit of breeziness to it and add more layers as I showed her a photo that I liked. Usually when I get a new shearing, I immediately either really love it or really hate it. This is a first for me. I guess time will really tell. Of course, it seems that no matter how I have my hair cut and styled, it seems to sort of gravitate back toward the same look. I guess I just know one way to style my own hair and that is how it will be no matter what. Have a breezy, layered weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment