If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.

Friday, December 30, 2011

Grocery Shopping

Does everybody hate this chore as much as I do?  Oh, there are parts of it that I don't mind.  I don't mind browsing through the aisles and checking out all that is offered at the store.  I don't mind making comparisons and choosing the better buy or the more appropriate product for our needs.  The parts I hate are the paying part - and who really does like that?  and the unloading and hauling into the house part. 

Today was grocery shopping day for me - not because we were out of everything but because we are feeding the children tomorrow when we all finally get together to share our Christmas love and gifts.  When you have four grown children and they have spouses and some of them have children, that makes for a house full and lots of hungry folks.  We all tend to eat like the farm hands we used to be, too. 

With that many folks and with them also going hither and yon to other family celebrations, it is really hard to settle on a menu.  Mike usually wants to show folks how much he loves them by cooking for them and we all like that because he is a really terrific cook!  I also want it to be a menu which can be prepared a little in advance where we can relax, interact, and enjoy our company - after all, I think entertaining is all about the people.  So, we finally landed on a menu that would satisfy the two of us to a level that we can live with comfortably.  And, as usual, that meant a trip to the grocery store. 

I have been feeling yucky for the past couple of weeks with sinus/ear infections and annoying miserable coughing/sore throat.  It has really caught up with me and I have wanted to do little more than lie around for the past couple of days.  Yet, we still needed supplies from the grocery.  So, I mustered up my strength and headed out today.  I didn't time it this way but it just so happened that I got home right at about the same time that Mike came in from work.  So, loving man that he is, here he came to help me haul all these bags of stuff in to the house. 

He sat and chatted while I found a place for everything and I decided that I'd better sit down and rest a bit before tackling a little bit of preparation and advanced cooking.  That made me fire up my electronic recipe book and then I read my email and one thing led to another and here I am blogging. 

I had been wondering what to post about in my foggy/puny/yucky state of mind and as usual, somebody sweet inspired me.

Sometimes it is better to be lucky than good!

No comments:

Post a Comment