If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.

Friday, September 4, 2026

Just 3 Things | #43

Come on fall! It is September. I am tired of hot weather. I am ready for some cooler temperatures! Everything outside is dry, dusty, and crunchy around here. The Mister cuts the grass with a mask on and still comes in looking like he has been wandering in the dust bowl. Plus, it has just been excessively HOT. I know that I get this way at the turn of the season each year but this one really does seem to have been a really hot summer.

- What I've Been Working On -

I've been stitching and embroidering this week. I am focusing on crafting Christmas gifts for our family. The bandana totes will make a good gift and will serve as ready-made wrapping, I think. I got a tote bag finished this week and I did a boxy pouch that I've been wanting to try for a while. Then, today I worked on a little coin purse. I ordered some shorter zippers and some magnetic closure snaps. So, I wanted to try those out. I've saved several ideas and tutorials. So, following my philosophy for the week of just diving right in, I picked one and went to work. 



One side has a monogram and the other side has a pocket with the magnetic closure. It zips at the top to keep coins, cards, cash, or any number of small items secure. I put a D ring on one side so that it could be clipped to a key ring and I made a little wrist key fob out of a scrap of fabric. 


I like the little outside pocket but I'm not sure how secure things will be in it with that magnetic closure. I stitched the magnets into the tab that folds over the top and into the outside pocket lining. So, the magnet holds but not super-securely. Since I had been working on one granddaughter's tote, I made this little coin purse out of the same coordinating fabrics I used for the tote bag - brown T bandana and pink with boots, hats, and horse shoes. This granddaughter loves her boots and is a fan of pink. So, this will suit her well. 

- What I've Been Reading -

Besides reading and watching several tutorials and blog posts to build my confidence for stitching up a couple of different types of pouches, I have also done a bit of reading on the book I started last week. The Letter by Kathryn Hughes. I don't take as much time for reading when I am enthusiastic about my stitching projects! This is a good book, however, and I am about half-way through it. 

- What I've Been Loving -

The Mister wanted a deli sandwich the other night. So, we ordered a delivery. I wanted something lighter than a sandwich and didn't really want pasta that the local restaurant offers either. So, I gave one of their featured salads a try. It was fabulous! The greens were fresh and light like I wanted. It also had blue cheese crumbles, caramelized walnuts, cherry tomatoes, green apple slices, and grilled chicken on it. I loved the flavor blend so much that I created my own from ingredients in our fridge a couple of times since. One night I added some mandarin orange slices and the other night I added some dried cranberries to the mix. The Mister turned up his nose when I added the apple slices to the one I was mixing and raised his eyebrows when I added pecans. The nutty, crunchy, tartness added to the sweetness of the fruit and the heartiness of the chicken and blue cheese really hit the spot. It was quite tasty and I highly recommend tossing it all together like that!

We have really been focused on counting our blessings and lifting others up this week. Our family lost my great aunt and my mother's sister last week. Then, this week a cousin's husband passed. All three folks had been suffering with different types of dementia but it is still hard to lose a loved one. Then, a dear friend of ours who we grew up with and went to school with as youngsters let us know that her husband had a second stroke this past week. I called and chatted with our friend today and she voiced what we all feel at times like these saying, "I just wasn't prepared for all of this. We watch others in such situations and wonder what we would do but nothing can really prepare us for the reality of it." We will continue to be lifting these folks up in the coming days and will also continue pondering different ways to help our friend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment