If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.

Tuesday, September 1, 2026

Today I noticed...A finished product really encourages me to try something else.

I've been playing with my new sewing machine and learning to make different items. It is such fun to create something from a few pieces of fabric. Then, having the opportunity to personalize what I create and really make it one of a kind is also rewarding. 

I just finished my third bandana tote bag. I saw an advertisement for one and then saw a blog post tutorial and decided that I wanted to make one for myself. 

My First Bandana Tote Bag

I'm really partial to a red purse. So, the traditional red bandana seemed to call my name. I lined it with a navy bandana. I also added a handy zip pocket and a recessed zip top closure. I'm probably going to remove the closure because I'm finding that I rarely want to close it up and that sort of gets in the way. All in all, though, I am really happy with my tote bag.

I decided that creating personalized bags would make good gifts. So, I've started down the path of making the girls in our family a tote bag. I've done a bit of tweaking on my method and I'm still not perfectly satisfied with how I want it. The bag below has traditional red bandanas as the lining.

My Second Bandana Tote Bag

Yesterday I finished another gift tote bag. It really made me smile in spite of the fact that I had to pick out the stitching for the lining because I had made a mistake putting it together and the fact that the bandanas I used were a little off-square and I had to wrangle with them a bit to make it work. 

My Third Bandana Tote Bag

The finished tote bag is just so cute and eye-catching. The brown one above is lined with bandanas that have boots and hats intermingled with the paisley print and has a pink background.


I love how the different prints coordinate and really do make each bag unique. At this point I have completed the three using slightly different techniques for each one. I think I am honing in on exactly what steps and methods work best to create just the bag I like! 

Even though I had a couple of hurdles to jump with this particular bag that I finished up today, when I hung it up on the closet door, I really felt encouraged to make another one. It is exciting to see how each one turns out and anticipate how the recipient might enjoy it. I don't know if I will start another bag tomorrow or will delve into a smaller project. One thing is certain, I'm looking forward to giving some sort of stitching project a try!





No comments:

Post a Comment