If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.

Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Spiffed-Up for the Season Part 2

Yesterday I shared the front porch and den decor in our house this year in Spiffed-Up Part 1.  Today, I'll take you around other parts inside the house.

I did a wee bit of decorating in the master bedroom.
Some holly garland draped over our antique headboard and a couple of photos of the grands with Santa add seasonal cheer here.
More holly greenery swags over the bay window seat.  (Why didn't I notice that the blind was all wonky like that and straighten it up?)
There's also a bit of greenery swagged across the floral painting over our dresser.  Simple and cheerful, that is plenty for this space.

In the kitchen, I also kept it simple.  I incorporated the holly garland atop the mantel.  There is a pair of stockings Mike's mother hand-chrocheted.
I also hung a large red and green china ornament and a sweet little red ribbon Merry Christmas ornament on the center of the mantel.
The little table-top Christmas tree is festooned with cranberry red beaded garland and many hand-crafted ornaments collected through the years.  There are painted wooden ornaments, purchased bread-dough ornaments, wire ornaments, gift ornaments, and a paper-crafted ornament made with the granddaughters this year.

There are also pipe-cleaner candy canes that were twisted and curved by Bridgette and Bryan when they were little fellows.  This tree sets in a basket alongside the blue-and-white bowl which holds another strand of cranberry wooden beads and tin cookie cutters.  A couple of appliqued Christmas towels brighten up the chopping block that tree sits upon.
A simple blue and white bowl sitting amongst some holly garland, glittery pine-cones, and glistening branches within the wooden tray on the gingham runner is all I put on the dining table this year.
The bowl is another one of my favorite junking finds with a beautiful snow scene in the center.

At the last minute, when I was searching for the red gingham table runner, I stumbled across my painted Christmas masterpiece.  So, I just leaned her up on the china cabinet in the kitchen.  I sort of felt like her this year - a bit overwhelmed by Christmas - the shopping, the decorating, all the preparation.
I plunked some silk poinsettias, some greenery, and a sprig of red berries in the urn that sits on the island and considered the kitchen fully decorated.
Rudolph stands sentry on one side of the kitchen door and a basket of silk greenery anchors the other.
Going down the hallway, I draped a holly garland across a cross-stitch sampler my mother made.
The guest bedrooms got the simple treatment as well.
There is a miniature Christmas tree decorated with mini ornaments in each.  The front bedroom where there are toys for the grands has the Disney tin and some sweet seasonal smelling potpouri.
It also has a couple of snow globes alongside my childhood blue willow tea set.
The back bedroom has one of the pretty glittery white ornaments, a church which reminds me of the local Methodist church.
A couple of plastic canvas needlepoint squares sit atop the shelves at the end of the hallway.  Bryan learned to do these in elementary school and one year he crafted several.
I'm so glad these have endured the years!
The guest bath vanity has a tiny Christmas tree and a swag of holly garland across the mirror and across the print on the opposite wall.
It also has a couple of the beautiful white and gold ceramic ornaments that were Mike's for years.
This pair is Santa and his sleigh.
I also discovered Harold, the Christmas angel when I was searching for the table runner.  So, out he came and was hung on the inside of the front door.  Believe it or not, I was much like Harold while I was decorating this year.  Oh, there was the traditional cursing of the lights, like when half of one brand new strand wouldn't work and I replaced it with another.  Then, when I hung the garland and new strand of lights, half of that strand quit working.  Otherwise, it was a pleasant, cheerful task and I blasted Christmas music through our old-time Christmas CDs and sang and danced all the while I decorated!  Hope your decorating was simple, easy, and enjoyable, too.


No comments:

Post a Comment