If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.

Thursday, June 22, 2017

Open Letter to Our Children

Dear Children-Who-Are-Parenting-Our-Grandchildren,

I was rewarded when reading this article because I see you all doing almost all of these things.  It reassured me that you are doing a wonderful job according to the world just as I have always believed in my heart of hearts.

Oh, I know that Mike and I sometimes mutter, question, and offer unsolicited advice in regard to your parenting (and usually regret it afterward when we think about how we would have received it when we were in the throes of raising youngsters).  But, really, we think our grandchildren are practically perfect in every way.

Don't all grandparents feel that way, though?

Whew!

Thank you.

I thought so.

The post also made me do a bit of reflecting.

In reflecting on the way my own children were raised, I also thought about how many of these were incorporated into our lives.  I'm sure that is part of why you are doing such a fabulous job of parenting our adorable grands!

I will also add that, looking back, I wish I had done more of some (maybe all) of these things and want to be my bossy, interfering self to tell you to do so as well.  I think you could use this list as a guide to help you when you have self-doubt and I encourage you to look more closely at these:

  1. I wish I had given more undivided attention to you.  Why did I think some of those things needed my attention more than my precious children?
  2. Do more volunteering together.  There is nothing more gratifying and eye-opening than volunteering.  Providing a service for others with no expectation of anything in return is one of the purest forms of love for our fellow man.  It has always made me feel even more grateful for the many blessings I've been provided and, hopefully, others benefited at least as much as me.
  3. Nix negative talk.  I know I'm stretching this one beyond what the post mentions but, in my opinion we all could work toward erasing negative talk about ourselves and, even more so about others.  Watch the gossip.  Watch trash-talking.  Watch criticizing.  As the Disney character stated, "If you can't say something nice, don't say nothing at all."  I know that is a most difficult thing to do but, please, at least try to prevent doing such within ear-shot of those children.

Each of the listed ways is important, I believe.  The article is insightful.  It could be used as a guide to inform you but, thankfully, I believe it will only serve as a reminder of what is important and reaffirm that you are doing the right things.

As the overbearing parent, I know that we often seem interfering and judgmental of the way you live your life or parent your children.  Please know, dear children, that we love you and think you are doing a marvelous job!  We know that we neglect to let you know that and hearing and feeling our approval is important as you weather through.

Love,

Doting-Grandmother-Of-The-Practically-Perfect-Grandchildren-You-Are-Parenting

No comments:

Post a Comment