If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.

Friday, January 19, 2018

Saying Goodbye Too Soon

Our hometown experienced a tragic loss this week.  We lost a young man who had grown up alongside our sons.  Trust me when I say that flu and pneumonia are still serious infections and can be devastating.  Our heart is broken and there truly is a hole left in the fabric of our lives.

Craig Childress was certainly a one-of-a-kind sort of fellow.  I feel extraordinarily honored to have known him and had him touch my life.  Craig came into the life of my family when he was five years old and started to play coach-pitch baseball.  He was on my son, Bryan's team.  They were all such little fellows and had so much to learn.  As it turned out, they all learned baseball together over the years.  Every single year that Bryan played baseball, he and Craig were on the same team.  Most years, Craig's dad, Bo, served as their coach.

One time the boys ran into the dugout from playing defense and Bo began lining up the fellows to get ready to bat.  He asked in his quiet tone a couple of times before he shouted out, "Who's number one?"  The boys were all laughing and messing round but all of them stopped when Bo's voice was so loud.  They all looked at one another and, suddenly, Craig shouted, "We are!"  Guess whose jersey had the number one on the back.  Yep.  Craig's!  Bo rolled his eyes, handed Craig his helmet, sent him out to bat, and the game continued.  That is the type of humor Craig carried with him wherever he went.

There are loads of baseball stories and Craig figures into most of them.  A couple of summers he spent lots of time at our house hanging out with Bryan on days between games.  The boys would just climb into the back seat after the game and I'd throw the extra uniform in the washer when we got home.  They would pile up on the sleeper sofa in the den.  He would pull on some shorts and a t-shirt of Bryan's and Craig would simply follow my children out to the barn the next morning.  We hardly knew he was around because he just fit right in and never minded chores alongside my children.  On the hottest of days they would watch movies during the heat of the day to save their energy for the evening games.  One of the favorites during a summer was "Sandlot."  I wish I had a quarter for every time our VCR played that movie or a nickel for every time one of the guys uttered a quote from the movie.  I'd be wealthy beyond my wildest dreams!  The boys were brothers through baseball.

Throughout his childhood and even after reaching adulthood, Craig was one of the most polite and considerate young men I have ever known.  He always took time to stop and chat and share a memory whenever I bumped into him out and about.  It never mattered where we were, nor what he was doing, he always would pause, give me a hug, and chat.  My father always mentioned when he had seen Craig around town somewhere or at the restaurant where Craig was working.  Daddy was always heartwarmed that Craig would hug him and take time to chat as well.  Daddy also appreciated the courtesy Craig showed by saying yes-sir and no-sir to him as a means of respect and honor for an elder.  He was a young man who respected and earned the respect of others.

As I blink back the tears and see the many memories and times shared with this honorable young man flickering across the screen of my mind, I cannot imagine the void that is left in the world by his passing.  Those of us who had him added to our lives are fortunate and what a sorrow it is that we will no longer be faced with his smile, quick humor, and easy-going manners.

I hope my Daddy was at the gates of heaven to hand Craig a piece of bubble gum when he arrived.

No comments:

Post a Comment