If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.

Saturday, January 20, 2018

Practically Perfect In Every Way - More Snow Day Activities

Just in case you don't know my grandchildren, let me tell you that they are practically perfect in every way.  After all, I'm their grandmother and I cannot imagine any grandmother thinking differently about her grands.

This week we learned that one of the grandsons has learned how fun it is to climb stairs.  He is almost two-years-old and seems to be training for quickness at an Olympic rate.  We understand he's gotten quite adept at it and can get up the stairs lickety-split before his parents even realize it.  Isn't that practically perfect? 

I thought you would see it my way.

We also had a Hangout with some of the granddaughters and saw that they calmly sit and watch a classic video and share snacks and play cooperatively with the dollhouse.  Isn't that practically perfect?

I thought you would see it my way.

For some reason, our grandsons - and at times even the granddaughters - have all been described using one word at some point or another and I think it is meant as a compliment of their energy, quick thinking abilities, good health, and vigor.  I know that the official dictionaries use synonyms such as boisterous or rowdy or wild or unruly but I'm still choosing to see the descriptor used as a compliment and reference to their positive character, their enthusiasm for life and learning, their curiosity, their exuberance.  The descriptor Mike and I have heard their parents use is:

rambunctious

See?  Don't you think that is a good thing?  Isn't that practically perfect?

I thought you would see it my way.

These snow days have been hard on our grandchildren's parents.  They aren't accustomed to staying in one place for very long.  After all, they cart their school-aged children off to the schoolhouse or trek to the store with their toddlers or work outside on their rural homesteads.  They aren't accustomed to having their exuberant children cooped up inside for so long.  After all, those children usually burn energy, running, and playing in a gym at school or practicing basketball with their team or shooting hoops, and riding bicycles, and running through the grass.  They tag along after their parents who run errands and grocery shop and load feed sacks for customers and landscape and build birdhouses and care for livestock and hunt big game and enjoy the great outdoors.  Yet, when these snow days have limited all that activity and left the grandchildren with four walls to contain them.  Well, let's just say it has been hard on their parents.  After all, it isn't a problem with the grandchildren, it is a problem with their parents.  The grandchildren are practically perfect.  Right?

I thought you would see it my way.

We got some photos the other day from part of the grandchildren's parents letting us know that at least one of the grandsons had forced his mother into creating activities for him to enjoy.  She saw it as a way of occupying his time and keeping him focused and a little less - rambunctious.
Look at that concentration.  Look at the finesse.  Look at all the intellect popping out.  I hate that I'm not savvy enough to share this the way it was sent to me in one of those short moving picture sort of thingies on my iPhone.  The seriousness of his work really shone through on it.  Isn't that practically perfect?

I thought you would see it my way.
(Mom also spent a bit of time creating a matching game for our grandson.  Didn't she do a good job?  Can you guess that she has a master's degree in elementary education?) 
The real genius-ness of the matching game was the result, though.  Look at that attention to detail.  Look at the fine motor skills used to accurately line up each little piece.  Look at the enthusiasm used for learning.  Isn't that practically perfect?

I thought you would see it my way.
Luckily, baby sister got in on the act.  After all, I'm sure she is a bit rambunctious at times, too.  Right?  I hate you can't see the moving picture thingy sent via iPhone, she was kicking and cheering her brother on as he crafted an artwork masterpiece.  Isn't that  practically perfect in every way?

I thought you would see it my way.
Of course, the finished product says it all.  Look at the Picasso-like coloring.  Look at that proud smile.  Isn't that practically perfect?

I thought you would see it my way.

I don't know why these practically perfect grandchildren's parents think rambunctious has a negative connotation.  I don't know why they have problems with the energy and exuberance of our grandchildren.  After all, I think they are practically perfect in every way!

No comments:

Post a Comment