If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.

Monday, August 13, 2012

Cozy Lighting

This past week my friends, Stacy and Stephanie, a couple of girls I work with daily, decided that they weren't going to use the floor lamp that they'd used last year because it almost started a fire.  The shade had melted and turned black the combustion was so near.
See the melting and charring of the plastic shade liner and even the linen outer covering?

So, I decided to bring it home for a re-vamping.  I even had a place in mind for where I would put it.  It was a bit worn and sad looking but I could see the nice bones underneath.  Here is a look at it when I brought it home...
Free Lamp

I really like the little balls on the pull chains to turn each bulb on.  I think it might even be cute to put some other decorative bauble on there some day.  I also like the detail of the base. 
See the nice little swirls and tapers?  I like all that detail.  Of course, it was a little grungy looking with the brass-tone worn away and little crumby rust spots everywhere.  So, I gave it a good wipe-down and used my leftover bronzing paint.  (You can read about my first acquaintence with this paint HERE.)  First, it got a priming coat of this...
Then, it got a good coat of this...

I let it sit out in the sun all afternoon to dry thoroughly.  Then, I brought it in and topped it off. 

Friday afternoon I had trekked to one of my favorite bargain hunting haunts.  (You can read about another deal I got on that trip HERE.)  I was a little bummed about not finding what I wanted at the Goodwill.  But, I trouped on over to Tuesday Morning to buy the umbrellas for our deck tables that were on sale.  While I was there, I decided to look about a lamp shade there.  Low and behold, there was exactly what I needed!  I hesitated, because it wasn't on sale.  Then, after a quick conversation with my friend, Kathy, who is the Bargain Queen, I was reminded that EVERYTHING at Tuesday Morning is discounted already.  So, I splurged and paid $18 for this shade to go on my free lamp.  How do you think it turned out?

My discount store shade...
The base detail...

Here is how the throw-away cast-off disposed-of gracious gift lamp looks in its new spot...
I knew it was a success when Mike walked in to plop down in his recliner right across the room and without any prompting, said, "That lamp turned out looking good.  It makes the room seem a lot more cozy." 

I love that man!

No comments:

Post a Comment