If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.

Monday, April 25, 2016

Back to Nature

Last week when we were at Mom's cutting grass, I remembered to take a photo of something that we had been noticing for a couple of weeks or more.

I had seen a bird, a Killdeer, protecting it's nest.  There would be that squawking and running and behaving as if it were injured movement away from the nest every time I would go by there.  So, I took a little time to see where exactly the nest might be when the adult bird was sitting still.

Then, when she was away from the nest, I walked down to take a look.
Right there in the gravel at the edge of the driveway was her nest.  See it?  It is pretty well camouflaged isn't it?
What pretty little eggs!  I worry that somebody is going to drive over them, though.  I'll have to check it out the next time we are visiting.  I think it is probably about time for them to hatch.  I cannot say that I'm a big fan of this bird because of the raucous noise the adult makes trying to protect the nest, but I do appreciate that they eat insects.

It was just an interesting find for me and I don't remember seeing a nest like that since I was a girl.  Of other birding interest, our bluebird friends who built a nest in our decorative blue birdhouse on the back porch have returned this year and they have a nest of eggs there again.  The are pretty to watch fluttering in and around the back porch.

No comments:

Post a Comment