If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.

Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Getting Ready for a Feast

Mike and I are getting ready for a feast!  A Thanksgiving Feast!

A couple of days ago I baked up some cornbread  and baked some sweet potatoes.

Today I mixed up some dressing and also added oysters to a small pan of dressing for Mike.  I am using the two new casserole dishes that Bonnie and Stephen gave me for my birthday!


Then, I mixed up a sweet potato casserole.  I'll add the toppings right before I bake it Thursday morning.  For yesterday, I simply covered them with clear plastic wrap and put them in the fridge to be ready for baking later.  The dressing needs to chill overnight anyway.  I know it looks rather juicy in the photo below but trust me that the bread is going to absorb a lot of that chicken broth and I may even have to add more to get it as moist as we like it.

I started on a pumpkin cheesecake.  I used my basic cheesecake recipe except that I used ginger snaps instead of graham crackers for the crust and I will simply add pumpkin to the cake filling.

We won a turkey at the Lion's Club Turkey Shoot last week.  Well, our friend's grandson won a turkey at the Lion's Club Turkey Shoot.  All we did is give him a donation and wished him good luck.
This brine smells delightful!

So, yesterday, I put the turkey in the brine and I didn't even take in that shot, either!  Below, you can see that he is soaking up some goodness and will be ready to rinse and for Mike to fry him up.

While I was cooking dinner last night, I also cooked up some sliced onions and some of the squash we froze this summer.  I mixed it with some cheese and a bit of butter and added some cream of mushroom soup to it and will add a topping and bake it.

I'm planning to set the table, sweep, and swipe the dust off the high spots sometime today.  Plus, today's recipes include hash brown casserole, broccoli, green bean casserole, and rolls.

Then, that will leave topping and baking what I don't get done today, cooking some cream-style corn, mac and cheese for the grands, and making something chocolate for Stephen and me.  I think I'm going to stir up Rocky Road Chocolate Cake in a Crock Pot.

At the end of these days I wonder how my ancestors did all this and milked a herd of cows, too!  I've grown soft and don't know that I can keep up!  I'm thankful right now that I have the whole week off from work and can do bits and pieces without having to prep all this as a marathon.  It will be great to visit with the family and I am thankful that they are all planning to try to make it in here at some point on Thursday.  Feeling old and tired like I am at the end of the day, it is a good thing a Thanksgiving Feast happens only once per year!

No comments:

Post a Comment