If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.

Friday, August 7, 2026

Just 3 Things | #39

I know I often talk about the weather here and I guess I inherited that from my Daddy. When one lives on a farm, though, weather plays a big role in most everything that goes on. It has rained here more days during the past three weeks or more than it has been dry. Whoever heard of having green grass that begs to be mowed more than once per week in July and August!?! The rain has also stalled hay harvest. The Mister is on edge wondering just when he might get to cut and rake and bale and all the things and steps required to put hay in the barn and mow off our front field. I just looked at the weather app on my phone.

No less than 35% rain predicted in the 10-Day forecast.

- What I've Been Watching -

I've been reading and watching tutorials online like never before. I have so many ideas for using my new sewing machine and I see so many wonderful ideas. I am loving that I can find a tutorial for crafting most anything and stitching most anything up just by reading and looking at photos and watching video tutorials. 

Gone are the days when one simply looked at the diagrams that came with a package for creating or assembling something. Gone are the static tissue paper patterns that tear easily and have unclear drawings to follow for sewing. These days I just perform and online search and there are multiple tutorials right at my fingertips. I love that I can have clear photographed pictures showing me what to do, or I can watch a video, rewind, pause, and watch it again to learn how to assemble something that I am stitching up. 

For all the times that people fuss about technology, I just want to stand up and cheer that we do have such technology right at our fingertips to teach us how to do something new. Now, that doesn't mean I get things right on the first try each time. That doesn't mean I fully understand something after reading, watching, rewinding, and watching again. Yet, the opportunity that provides for me as a learner and a crafter and a sewist is absolutely fabulous! I shared a couple or three tutorials I used in making a cute tote bag this week. However, please know that I have watched and saved three or four more different ones before and during the process of me attempting to make just that tote bag. An example that I didn't share is this one where I learned to make a cool end to a zipper tab. 

- What I've Been Reading -

Besides reading tutorials, I've also been reading an interesting novel this week. It is one of Reese's Book Club Picks.


 The Club by Ellery Lloyd was advertised as, "a murder mystery set at an exclusive celebrity resort." However, as I am reading it, I can see personalities similar to folks I know or have encountered and I certainly have not been to an exclusive celebrity resort. I'm about half way through and it is really an engaging read. 

- What I've Been Working On -

I spent a couple of days working on my big project for the week - a Bandana Tote Bag. It was so rewarding to see this coming together and turning out like my vision. I learned so many different things in the process and learned about new products that I didn't know existed and techniques that I would never have dreamt of on my own. 


I already have gathered a stash of bandanas to make more bags and pouches using this inexpensive fabric. Of course, one of the things I learned is that there are bandanas that don't really look like bandanas. I had seen patriotic ones before but there are also animal prints, camo prints, cute variety prints, and traditional bandanas in a multitude of colors. So, I think I could make a different bag each week and never use the same sort of bandana even if I used one color or print for the outer side and a different one for the lining. Some of these different varieties of bandanas are more expensive than the typical one-dollar-handkerchief but I found loads available right in my price range and fully intend to create something cute and wonderful with as many as possible!

If the sun is shining where you are, I hope you are making hay in it! Have a good weekend.


No comments:

Post a Comment