Side one of an H wreath sash - patriotic and monogrammed
Side two of the H wreath sash - floral and monogrammed
I've been seeing that people are easing into fall already even though the temperatures are still in the hot summer ranges of the nineties around here. I had bookmarked and added things to my shopping cart and all the things one does these days when scrolling and thinking and gathering ideas. So, I pulled the trigger on a few new designs and decided to stitch them out.
Side one of a B wreath - patriotic and monogrammed
Side two of a B wreath - fall pumpkin and monogrammed.
I used a few pieces of leftover and found fabrics to make them. I'm not sure where I got the yellow gingham but it was a nice squared-off piece that still had selvage edges. So, I just ripped widths from selvage to selvage. I remembered that the last time I had made a sash out of the light yellow gingham the fabric on the back side sort of peeked through. So, I used and iron-on interfacing and backed it to try to prevent the color peeking through. That also helped to make the fabric have more heft. However, with a design that is pretty dense with stitching, like the pumpkin, there still was some puckering. Most people who are the recipients of my gifts don't notice or care but it frets me somewhat. However, in the big scheme of things, the product is still beautiful, personal, and one-of-a-kind. Isn't that sort of the definition of a good gift?
I made a couple with patriotic designs on one side and floral on the other and a couple with the fall pumpkin on one side and patriotic on the other.. They will go to different folks and I really like the look of both options. I'm guessing the patriotic design could be used in the summer for Flag Day or Independence Day or for most any patriotic holiday such as Memorial Day, Labor Day, Veteran's Day, etc. Then, the simple fall pumpkin design could be used from late September all the way through till Thanksgiving. The floral monogrammed sides could be used most anytime no matter what season. I feel like that is a nice gift for some of my women friends and family members and offers some versatility.
Side one of an O wreath - fall pumpkin and monogrammed
Side two of an O wreath - turkey and monogrammed with a swag of greenery
I had seen some monogrammed wreath bows. So, I gave one of them a try. It really takes a very long strip of fabric to make one of those. I'm not sure how the bow will stand up to wind and rain either and we all know that most doors are going to have a bit of weather exposure. I do like the look but I think I like the shorter one that is just looped and knotted better.
Side one of an H wreath sash - greenery with bow and monogrammed
Side two of an H wreath - pumpkin and monogrammed
I think one of the fun things about creating wreath sashes is how each and every one can be different. Even though I used the same fabrics on all of these wreaths, each looks completely different. They could all be hanging on doors in the same hallway and each would have an individual and unique appearance. The stitched designs vary or the font can vary or the monogram is different for different people or the colors can be mixed and matched. Sometimes simplicity really provides a whole lot of variety.
Wreath sashes lined up on a bed
I catch myself walking by the bedroom where I have the finished products laid out flat to prevent wrinkles and smiling a little smile of satisfaction. I hope the recipients enjoy them half as much as I have enjoyed creating them!
No comments:
Post a Comment