- What I've Been Working On -
I'm still stitching away on the 'sets' I'm creating for Christmas gifts. The eldest granddaughter gave me a little feedback on what she thought she would use in the way of totes, bags, or pouches and I tried to follow her suggestions. She's not one who wants her name or monogram on everything. So, I sometimes question her true southern roots.
She said she didn't really need a big tote bag. So, I did her something a little bit different - a small modified duffle. She also didn't really want the traditional bandana print and asked if I could use a leopard print bandana. I do love her suggestion that she passed along in regard to bandana choices.
The duffle is about 15" x 6' x 4" and would hold curling irons, or loads of cosmetics, or any variety of items. I added handles and a decorative black strip around the top. All of this set is lined with red bandanas.
Small Quilted Duffle with Handles
I did an open-wide box pouch. It is one of my favorite medium sized zip pouches. I had done one for another granddaughter and I love the triangular shape and I think it will hold loads of stuff.
Open-Wide Box Pouch
I also did a foam-quilted simple zip pouch. It is a traditional simple size and shape at 7 1/2" x 10" and the quilted foam gives it plenty of structure. I probably should have added a D ring so that a wristlet could be clipped onto it but it will work for a storage pouch or a clutch purse like it is.
Quilted Zip Pouch
For the smalls, I did a zip coin purse that is 4" x 5" and a pouch that is just the size to hold an ID or bank card. For the two smallest ones I added a D ring so they can be added to a wristlet, a keychain, or clipped on a larger bag.
Coin Purse (side 1)
Zip Coin Purse (side two)
Folding Card Pouch
I like the little card pouch and will probably try that again as a gift. I need to do a bit of adjusting to suit my idea but It really did turn out cute. Since I was adapting a tutorial that left the edges raw, I didn't monogram it. I think it would be really cute with a monogram, though. I love how each item turned out! I hope she does.
- What I've Been Loving -
I made a couple of casseroles this week that I haven't stirred up in a while and both were quite satisfying. The first is one that my Mama made when I was a young girl. So, in a way it is comfort food.
Cheesy Mixed Vegetable Casserole
Ingredients:
2 cans mixed vegetables
1 1/2 cups cubed processed cheese
2 tablespoons butter
Topping Ingredients:
1 sleeve of Ritz crackers
4-6 tablespoons butter
Directions:
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter and add cheese cubes. Stir till they are blended together.
- Fold together mixed vegetables and spread into a baking dish.
- Crush crackers.
- Melt 4-6 tablespoons of butter and pour over cracker crumbles. Stir to cat the cracker crumbles.
- Spread cracker mixture over vegetable mixture and bake until bubbling and heated through. Cracker topping will brown slightly and crisp.
This is tasty as a side dish or all alone! It was grocery day; so, we had fried chicken and this veggie casserole for a super easy dinner.
The other casserole is French Onion Beef Bake. It is really a tasty dish and one of the Mister's favorites.
I'm sure I have followed the recipe precisely at times but I've also done variations. For example, this time I didn't have bow tie pasta and I used simple egg noodles instead. I've also used a pouch of French Onion Soup Mix and a container of sour cream instead of the purchased dip. The dish is delicious no matter how you stir it up! I'm loving a change of pace and some delicious recipes to welcome in fall.
- What I've Been Reading -
I abandoned a book before finishing it this week. I cannot remember when I did this last. Such a rarity. However, I just wasn't keeping up with the characters and didn't see the story line going anywhere. So, I DNF (I think that is the current slang term for did not finish.) and moved on to something vastly different. I'm currently reading Pitch by Pitch by Bob Gibson. I think I selected this one because I recall Tim McCarver as a broadcast announcer and McCarver was Gibson's catcher. I think one has to be a baseball fan to enjoy this one. I also listened to an NPR author interview with Gibson that was interesting and entertaining.
I'm probably going to work on some of my go-tos for a few days - wreath sashes and bag tags. I may stitch up a few more Christmas ornaments. They are just so fun and satisfying to complete because the embroidery looks so beautiful on that felt. The Mister laughed at me when a new packet of felt was delivered and I told him what I was planning to do with it. He seems to think some of my frivolous ideas are not worthy, I think. We shall be enjoying the cooler temperatures and hoping that your weekend is nice, too!
No comments:
Post a Comment