Something didn't go as we had been promised with a group I volunteer for and now a project with high impact is stretched out for another month and everything about the project is stagnated and impeding business for the group. I did a bit of research and have come to believe that part of the problem is that someone is confused. Part of the problem is that the powers-that-be are not well informed and haven't done their homework like they should. Part of the problem is that there was rogue action in years past and we are now suffering the consequences. I'm sure that there are other factors that I am unaware of, but all of it together has become a big old batch of red tape and things cannot get done!
Then, today, I sat down to do a simple task for the Mister that snowballed into a big chunk of red tape. He got a notice in the mail weeks ago with information about renewing his driver's license. At that time, I read through it and came to the understanding that renewal would be a simple process of checking some boxes and entering a payment method to complete it online. I sat the envelope on the corner of my desk and have just been watching the calendar to take care of renewal near to his birthday - I mean, why renew and pay any sooner than necessary? Plus, in eight years, when it is time to renew again, his birthday will be a good reminder for getting it done.
I entered the URL as directed in the letter from Safety and Homeland Security. (Already things are seeming ominous, aren't they?!) I navigated according to the instructions provided. After I had input all of the required information and was ready to select submit and move on to the payment screen, a notice popped up telling me that the renewal could not be completed because the Mister is required to get an updated photo for his ID. Frustration! I read back over all of the info and nowhere did it say in the printed and mailed instructions that a new photo would be required. Even on the envelope it simply said, "Complete online registration for fastest service."
Thankfully, there was a link where more information was available. The very first option suggested going to a Kiosk. Plus, wonder of wonders, there was a Kiosk listed as being only four miles from our house! So, I immediately called the Mister and let him know the good news. He asked if I would tag along to, "handle all of that computer mess." He hopped in his pickup and came right to the basement door to pick me up.
Within a matter of minutes we were walking into the local County Recreational Complex and approaching the mechanical Kiosk. A lady at a nearby desk asked if we were planning to renew our license and we let her know that was exactly our plan. She pointed to a different machine than the one we were honing in on and said that it would be where we would need to complete our task except that it is out of order today. She apologized and gave us instructions for the location of the nearest other Kiosk. So, a bit disgruntled, we turned and headed out the door.
After trekking through traffic for a bit, taking about a half-hour to get only fifteen miles away, we entered the next County Recreational Complex. The lady at that front desk asked if she could help and we explained our mission. She quickly let us know that the only Kiosk they have there is one for renewing auto license plates - there is no Kiosk for renewing driver's licenses. She very helpfully gave us directions to the nearest AAA business where she knew there is a Kiosk expressly for renewing driver's licenses. (Obviously we were not the first people who had made that mistake.) So, with growing frustration, we turned and headed out the door.
After trekking through traffic for a bit, taking about twenty minutes to go only ten miles away, we entered the AAA building. The lady at the front desk asked if she could help and swiftly pointed us toward the desired machine. We followed the computerized instructions and after a couple of tries, the machine snapped the photograph. Shortly thereafter, the machine spit out a receipt with information saying that the photo does not closely match the previous one on file. So, we gave it another try. Again, same results. The last line instructed us to take the receipt to a local Driver Services Center for assistance. Heaping frustration! So, we turned and headed out the door.
After trekking through traffic for a bit, taking about a little over a half-hour to get only eleven miles away, we entered the Driver Services Center. We were instructed to go to the back corner to check in. We were fourth in line but numbers one and two made me question whether they really needed to be operating a motor vehicle anyway. Number two let the check-in lady know that he had two bills to prove residency. However, both had different addresses and the addresses were different from the one listed on his digital bank statement that he showed her on his phone. The check-in lady informed him that he needed proof of residency in only one location and needed to have the correct home address on his bank statement. She gave him a list of items he might bring back when he returned. He asked if he would be leaving with a plastic coated license card after he returned with the correct documentation and she let him know that is not how it works - driver's licenses are mailed to the address where you document your residence. He informed her that he had recently moved from Florida and that is not how things worked there. She let him know that he is now in Tennessee and must follow Tennessee procedures.
Thankfully, number three had all the correct documentation and all was in order. She gave him a number and instructed him to listen to be called to a station. Then, came our turn. She quickly looked through our paperwork and gave the Mister a number and instructions to listen to be called to a station. We took a seat and waited.
In ten or fifteen minutes the number was called. The Mister handed over the documentation needed. He posed for a picture. He signed three or four more forms. He swiped his bank card to make the payment and was given a couple of sheets of documentation that he had renewed his driver's license. The fellow behind the counter told him to look for his new license within the next thirty to thirty-one days.
The Mister took me out for lunch at the local Mexican restaurant. As we were traveling home, I knew that I needed to change my attitude. I began to look for reasons to be thankful even though we had spent three hours trying to complete what should have been a simple task. I told the Mister that I am thankful for the privilege of driving, the fact that we own fairly reliable vehicles, and that I am retired and was able to spend half the day with him renewing his driver's license.
I am also thankful that his license will be valid for the next eight years.
No comments:
Post a Comment