If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.

Saturday, June 14, 2014

Making Baby Gifts

As you know, we have all been thinking about babies around here.  With two new babies joining our family this summer, I have been making receiving blankets lately.  There have been a total of six works in progress here lately.  A couple of weeks ago I got the house ready because the nieces, daughter, and daughter-in-law hosted a shower here for our daughter-in-law, Bonnie.

The first one expected this summer is little Levi.  His father, Stephen, is a big fan of The University of Tennessee football.  So, I knew I had to honor that and encourage this new little member of the family to have blood that runs orange.  This was the beginning effort...
Footballs and Big Orange

I bought a cotton print that had footballs all over it and backed it with some soft orange and white gingham.  Orange rick-rack formed the edge and I had Bridgette use her embroidery machine to personalize it with orange thread.  I gave her the left-over fabrics and she created burp cloths as a companion gifts.  I added a bit to it to finish out the gift - more on that later.

The next little blanket plays up to his country roots.  We are farm folk.  His mother has horses, his father has goats, his grandfather and I were raised with cattle, and we all have a soft spot for a pup.  So, the first fabric I picked was one that looked sort of like an all-over bandana with red background and black and white paisley print all over.
Country is always cool!

I found a companion cotton flannel that had a cute little bear riding a stick horse wearing denim jeans and a hat and a pup with a bandana around its neck.  I edged it with black rick-rack.  Bridgette added a denim patch with his monogram - first and middle initial stacked next to his last one.

The third blanket is all baby.  His nursery is painted a soft baby blue.  Mom and Dad have added white furniture and decorative stars.  So, for this blanket, I found a soft cloudy blue fabric scattered with white stars.
Baby Boy Blue and White

I backed it with a blue-and-white Oxford striped cotton flannel and edged it with simple white rick-rack.  Bridgette added his name in a large blue font.  It looks so sweet and seems like it will send the little fellow right off to dreamland.

I'm still working on some blankets for little Luci and I will share photos from the shower in a later post!

No comments:

Post a Comment