Rick-Rack Receiving Blankets
I used the tutorial Suzanne created over at Just Another Hangup and adapted it a wee bit. I kept with the same size of a full width of fabric and about a yard and a quarter of fabric torn to be a square and a couple of packages of rick-rack.
I also used her fancy template (a plate) and a rotary cutter to round off the corners. Next, I laid the rick-rack near the edge of the fabric and scooted in about a couple of inches from the cut end of the rick-rack and began to sew.
I lifted the second piece up to show how the first was 'falling off.'Then, I simply lay the second over top and continued stitching like the photograph below shows.
Goody Stuff and she did a bit of embroidery personalizing and returned it to me. Then, I just took the two pieces of fabric and pinned them with right sides together and stitched just inside the row of stitching that held the rick-rack on the fabric leaving a place about five inches unstitched. I used this as the hole for turning the fabrics right side out. Then, I gave the entire edge a good pressing with a hot iron. To finish it off, I simply top-stitched about an eighth-of-an-inch from the fabric edge.
The weight is just perfect, I think. However, if one wished for something a bit more heavy as a coverlet, a quilted fabric could be chosen. I like the use of flannel on one side but I also think they are nice with just two soft coordinating cotton fabrics.
Here is how this particular receiving blanket looks in the sweet little one's nursery.
The other receiving blanket I made for my friend was made with two soft cotton fabrics.
Dots and StripesI went in search of something to coordinate with her owl theme for her little one's nursery and the turquoise and white dresser they had painted to use as sweet clothing storage and a changing table. I discovered the trendy turquoise and white chevron stripe first. Then, I wandered round and found the chocolate brown fabric with multi-colored circles. Since they had chosen not to know whether the baby is a boy or girl, I needed something rather gender neutral. I thought this might be cheerful and fit the requirements. I had thought to use the unique turquoise rick-rack I knew that Hobby Lobby sold. However, it turned out to be a bit more toward a blue instead of leaning toward a greenish turquoise. So, I stuck with my fabrics and found a contrast in a warm color for the edging - orange. This particular rick-rack is a jumbo size and I was a little leery of it but it turned out just fine.
After I had torn my fabrics to get them squared up nicely, I used my plate template and rotary cutter and rounded the corners. Then, I decided to put a simple C monogram applique to represent the child's last name. I found a simple child-like font online using my iPad and took a screen-shot.
Then, I traced the outline of the letter onto a piece of freezer paper with a marker and cut the shape out.
For this project, I have contracted with Bridgette at Goody Stuff and had her applique a cute little owl on one side of the pre-folded diaper. Here is a shot of the work-in-progress:
Here is the blanket, burp cloth, and my version of Just Another Hangup's
Maggie the Taggie in my friend's nursery.
Having new babies join our family - even our extended 'work family' - is exciting and heart-warming. Being able to welcome them into the world with a sweet and simple gift gives us the opportunity to start making memories with them for years to come!