If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.

Sunday, May 20, 2012

Little Teapot

Our youngest granddaughter, Lydia, had a tea party for her birthday party.  (I'll tell more about that in another post.)  She seems to have always loved tea parties and takes every opportunity to serve folks tea - out of toy pots and pans, tea cups, plastic punch cups, etc.  So, this seemed a natural theme for her third birthday party. 

I had it in my head that I would find her a cute little child's tea set at a reasonable price as a gift.  Well, even though I searched high and low, the tea set I envisioned was not to be found.  However, when I had gone in search of a cut glass bowl to give the neices for graduation, I remembered seeing a sweet ironstone teapot, sugar bowl, and creamer in one of the local antique/junk shops.  So, I decided I'd just settle for that.

One afternoon this week I trekked down to the cluster of local shops in search of this cute teapot, etc. and, of course, it had already gone home with another shopper.  I went back to Morgenstern's 1949 where I'd found the beautiful bowls and to The Village Antiques and Gifts.  Just when I was about to give up, I stepped into Three French Hens and spied this cute little fellow:
Little Silver Teapot
It looks like it might hold about three or four cups of liquid at most.  It is just charming and sweet and was in remarkably wonderful shape.  I brought it home and gave it a quick polish and wrapped it up!

Here is a little bit closer look at the detail on this sweet little thing:

The gooseneck spout has sweet little daisy-like flowers and leaves which wrap both sides. 
The handle has all sorts of swirls and flourishes and has matching little daisies right at the top.
The handle at the top of the hinged lid has more leaves and sweet little daisies.
Another little daisy is at the top of each of the little Queen Anne-type legs.
This view gives a good look at the beautiful spout and leg.
Altogether it is just sweet, feminine, and adorable!

The best part of it all is that this is something a three-year-old can play with and there is no worry that she will break it! 

I hope Lydia enjoys many more tea parties for years to come.  I think pretend tea poured out of this into any sort of drinking receptical will taste far sweeter!

No comments:

Post a Comment