If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.

Saturday, April 14, 2018

Major Cleanout!

My mother-in-law has come to the decision that she cannot take care of her 5 bedroom house which sets on several acres and listed it with a realtor and sold it.  She is moving into our basement.  So, our fully furnished two bedroom, 1 bath, kitchen, den, and storage area with lots of items stored in it basement has been getting lots of attention lately.  

It was being used as a canning space in the summer and a sausage making space in the  winter.  Did I mention that it is fully furnished?  Did I mention that we have stored lots in it?

So, during the last week of March - my spring break - I spent the days cleaning out and tagging items for a yard sale.  Bridgette and Luci came and helped me out on Wednesday for a while.  Then, on Thursday evening they returned to spend the night and had Lillie along as well.  We did a wee bit of gathering and organizing before trouping off to bed.  



Then, we rose bright and early on Good Friday and hauled all our wares out onto the concrete pad outside the basement door.  We had linens, infant swings, pillows, baskets, pots and pans, chairs, stools, lamps, and LOADS more!  Did I mention that our basement is fully furnished?  Did I mention that we have stored lots in it?


It was a cold, misty, messy morning but by about noon we had sunshine and several shoppers.  I posted ads on the local Facebook info and want ads page.  Some of the treasures left with our shoppers.  Generally, if a shopper bought something, they took a load.  The armoire, the exercise bicycle, both recliners, the stroller, a few sheet sets, some kitchen wares, a baby swing, and more found new homes.

At the end of the day, there was still a trailer load.  I know because Mike, Bridgette, Lillie, and I loaded it all onto the trailer.  Did I mention that our basement is fully furnished?  Did I mention that we have stored lots in it?  Bridgette, Lillie, and I pulled the trailer down to the local Goodwill donation center and helped them to unload it before they loaded their duds and headed back home.

I was glad to go back to work on Monday so that I could get a break from so much hard manual labor that I've grown unaccustomed to doing!  I am still weary but am working through the rest of the stuff down there bit by bit.  Today I tackled a corner of my sewing room.  Tomorrow will find me tackling another one - if I am able!  

No comments:

Post a Comment