If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.

Wednesday, March 20, 2019

Chair Refresh

I thought burlap was a rugged fabric that would serve well on the chairs Mike and I use daily for dining.  When I picked up these chairs last year, I was thrilled with how the burlap seemed more fitting for a farmhouse kitchen and thought it would serve us well.

Now, less than a year later, this is how they look.

Mike's chair started showing wear at around Christmas and the burlap has just continually become more threadbare till there are big holes appearing.

My chair didn't start showing the wear as quickly but once it did show a bit of wear, the holes quickly followed. 

So, I decided that spring break would provide me plenty of time to give them a little attention.  I mulled over what type fabric I wanted to use because I don't see a need to use burlap again if it is going to wear out so quickly.  I considered getting a linen or using a drop cloth.  I also considered using a floral that I used to line the shades in the kitchen.  However, I liked the quiet neutral quality of the burlap and wanted something similar to it. 

Then, one day I remembered that I had a remnant of fabric I had picked up a few years back at Sirs.  (Gosh, I miss that place!)  I thought it was enough to do at least the three chairs that don't have arms which we use in the kitchen.  I brought it out and draped it across one of the chairs and decided it might work. 

With the bright sunshine calling me yesterday, I jumped into my chair updating project.  I thought I'd get that knocked out in less than an hour.  Boy!  Was I ever wrong!  I had forgotten that the hard part of covering furniture is removing the old cover. 

I had to study the under side of my chairs a bit because I knew that it was just a matter of removing a few screws to get the seat off.  However, I never dreamt that the screws would be really long like they were.  I finally became pretty certain of which screws were holding the braces to the chair frame and which might be the best candidate for holding the seat on and gave it a go.  The seat came off quickly and easily.  Then, it was time to remove the staples that were holding the burlap on.  All.  Those.  Staples!

I got a screwdriver and began prying them up and pulling them out with pliers.  My goodness, that is a job!  Eventually, I got them all removed.  I think I could have just tugged at the burlap and most of it would have come off without removing the staples but I wanted a clean surface before I reapplied a new cover.  So, they all had to come out.  The original tan cover was still intact on the cushion showing all its sadness.  There were stains galore there but it made for a good base cover to protect the padding and I decided to leave it there just like the upholstery person before me had done.

I laid the burlap out onto my fabric and cut a large enough square to cover my chair seat.  Then, my trusty manual staple gun and I went to work stretching the new fabric and attaching it with staples.  I do not have the strength I once did when I wrestled with cows or tossed hay bales around.  So, I had to also hammer each of the staples down into the plywood seat to make certain they were snug and strongly holding the fabric in place. 

I'm pleased with my finished product and my updated chairs.  They are still casual and quiet in a room filled with chairs and I like that.  I also like the freshness that the new fabric covering brings.  My stiff arthritic hands certainly hope these covers last longer than a year!

1 comment:

  1. Beverly!

    Can't wait to see all the changes in the kitchen. I LOVE your style and those chairs are PERFECTION!

    Happy day friend!
    karianne

    ReplyDelete