If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.

Tuesday, September 8, 2026

Creating a Set

I saw on social media where a woman my age had purchased a set of bags, totes, and pouches for traveling. She mentioned that she had never had a matching set before and it really made her happy. So, I decided that creating a set of bags, pouches, and a tote for family members is one of my challenges. I have one completed. 

Yesterday, I worked on the second set. I'd already completed the tote. So, I worked on crafting three smaller bags and a wristlet to go with it. I love that I can personalize them with my new sewing/embroidery machine. 


The first pouch I completed this morning was a coin purse. I didn't add a magnetic snap to this one because I wanted to try out a new technique. First, I made a long, narrow lined pouch with a zipper closure at the top. Then, I gave it a good pressing. I embroidered a granddaughter's initial onto the bottom and turned it up and stitched the sides. So, there is an outside pocket and a zip-closure at the top. I added a tab with a swivel clip on the side so that it could be clipped to a keychain if desired. It measures about 3 1/2" x 4" and is a perfect little size for coins, lip gloss, or gift cards.


The second one is an open-wide boxy triangular pouch. It measures about 10" x 5" and was fairly simple to construct. I followed this tutorial but changed the dimensions just a wee bit to suit the supplies I had on hand. I had already begun constructing and decided to add a name to the pouch. So, that slowed things down a little bit. I really like how it turned out even though it took me a little finagling and rewinding and replaying and scrolling through the tutorial to figure out the different steps.


I think it will hold lots of treasures for the teenager who will be the recipient but I like how it forms sort of a triangle when it is zipped up . 


Then, when it is completely unzipped, it will open wide and forms sort of a square trough. Pretty versatile! I used leftover bandana scraps I had after making her tote bag to construct all three of the pouches I worked on today. 


For the third one, I needed a zipper that would coordinate but didn't have the size I wanted. So, it is still in pieces but will go together quickly once I get the right size and color coordinating zipper. It is a variation of the color-blocked zip pouches I have made before. I will probably add a tab and a D ring to it as well. The finished dimensions are about 8" x 5" and I've found that is a pretty handy size.


I think these pouches will be good for most anything the girls might want to use them to catch and carry round. Plus, they will coordinate with their tote that I've made them and they will have a matching set!

No comments:

Post a Comment