If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.

Monday, May 27, 2019

Honoring

There was music in my heart this morning when I stepped outside to water the flowers on my front steps.
I saw the fluttering flag at the end of my driveway.  On this Memorial Day I was not the only one decorating our home and farm to honor those we have lost.  I had a whole band of helpers.
The local high school band offers this patriotic service.  Each patriotic holiday, the Nolensville High School Band commemorates our country's national patriotic holidays and serves the community by placing eight-foot tall, three-foot-by-five-foot flags near the driveway on the morning of the holiday and removing it that evening.
Each time I glance out the window and catch a glimpse of the flag fluttering, I'm reminded of how fortunate I am to be in this country, in this community, in this place.
From the highway it makes the entrance to our home more beautiful and I hope it helps others to remember and appreciate like we do.
I think one of the best parts of this opportunity is that I get to simply enjoy this patriotic gesture and know that local young people are also thinking of the honor there is in recognizing the sacrifice of others which provided them opportunities.
We feel honored to be able to support these civic-minded young people and honor those we lost this Memorial Day.  Why not check to see if your local school provides such an opportunity?

No comments:

Post a Comment