If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.

Sunday, May 12, 2019

Mother's Day Message

The hardest job I ever took on in my lifetime has been mothering.  It is truly a learn-as-you-go sort of gig and one that provides loads of opportunities for mistakes. 


I am grateful for the opportunity and the good fortune that my children turned out well in spite of me!


It is humbling because I have always tried to get it right and always strove to do my best.  I quickly learned that just because they look so much alike, that does not mean you do things the same way to meet their needs.


It is a job that requires tenacity and patience.  It is a job that brings frustration because I didn't really know what I was doing at times and it provides boundless rewards even when I STILL don't know what I am doing.


I loved mothering (and I guess I still do) - the early part where we were getting to know one another and I learned to meet their needs.  I loved the part where I was nurturing and guiding, and teaching.  I loved the stage where we became collaborators working jointly to achieve a shared goal.  Now, I love the stage where I am the sounding board and supporter.  Through it all, we mothers are called upon to prop up our children at times, cheer them on at times, be the voice of reason, and offer them a haven and I've loved those opportunities as well.


Now, I get to watch from the sidelines as my children and bonus children are parenting and see my grandchildren's mothers attend to the hardest parts of the job.  I often pass along words of wisdom that I find in blog posts or on infographics and posters.  I pass along words of encouragement and lift up prayers for them and my grandchildren.  I stand on the sidelines to support them when they call upon me - which is not very often.  I stand on the sidelines as a listener and encourager.  I stand on the sidelines and enjoy the view. 


I am truly thankful for the many blessings of motherhood.  I hope your day is filled with blessings and experiences of all the mothers touching your life.

Happy Mother's Day!



No comments:

Post a Comment