If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.

Friday, September 18, 2026

Just 3 Things | #45

I've had sort of a slow week in regard to having completed projects. I had a doctor checkup appointment and I was called into volunteer duty for the cemetery a couple of times. Then, I waited on a zipper shipment only to discover that I had ordered the wrong size. Then, waited again. I am also waiting on a new kind of heat erasable fabric marker. I found that the white ones from the set I had before just don't do as well as I'd like. Maybe I am old with failing eyesight but I know I'm not the only one. So, I am trying a new kind. I'll report later on how I like it.

- What I've Been Working On -

One thing I did work on this week, though, is some more Christmas ornaments. I found that I absolutely love the way so many of my designs look when stitched on that stiff felt. I was joking last week with the concept that everybody on my list will get an embroidered ornament for Christmas, but I think that will be an actuality. 

I am personalizing each one on the back side and adding the year. I don't know if I will make this a tradition or not but it never hurts to put a year on an ornament because we all loose track of time as we age.

I've looked into getting an ornament bundle or two but for now, I'm just using the bag tag options I have and adapting them in different ways. I've expanded the size a bit so that the ornament is a little larger than the typical bag tag. I've chosen a couple of designs and adapted them by leaving parts off and adding parts of a different design. I am just experimenting and having fun creating.

I think if somebody came in and gave a look at my sewing machine screen during my creation process they might be really confused at what I'm layering. A couple of good examples are the saxophone ornament and the lamb ornament. 


I pulled the saxophone from a design that included music notes. Since the design has easy stops to change thread color, that made it easy for me to skip colors and move to get just the sax. Then, I added a bow from a a design for monogram wreath frames. The machine lets me rotate the design a bit as well as skip colors. Next, I added a large bag tag outline as a final layer to finish the edges and stitch around the hole. So, the sax now looks like a cute little gift all wrapped up for Christmas.


I centered up the smallest sized lamb inside a monogram frame with a different scalloped edge. Then, I layered the volleyball bag tag design and skipped to the white stitching to get the outline for the hole. So, three different designs all layered atop one another and used the machine features to get just the look I wanted. For the back side, I just floated a different piece of the felt on another hoop and used the built-in fonts to spell out the name and year. Stitched those, and pinned or 'floated' the finished piece on the bottom of the hoop. Once the placement stitch for the outline was stitched, I just cut away the top layer with the 'picture' design and cut away the bottom layer with the name/year stitching. Then, ran the last finishing stitch. The two pieces of felt are stitched together back to back that way and there is no messy unfinished side. Plus, the two layers of stiff felt are such a good thickness that will hold up well year after year. The stitching really does take some time but that is part of the gift, in my opinion. My time and love are included in each unique one. I have seven completed, making me almost half done!

- What I've Been Loving -

We went to a local county fair this past weekend. A couple of our grands were exhibiting heifers in the livestock show. We saw a lot of old friends around the showring and made some new acquaintances as well. The boys did a really good job of showing the heifers - probably the best that they have done so far this year. This experience really seemed to showcase how much work and dedication they have invested into a project and how it has expanded their horizons.

What I think I liked best is that we could see their growth as showmen, participants, and competitors grow with each lap around the ring. The judge for the junior show was a special kind of person. She took time to visit with the youngsters and give them pointers. Then, when the guys returned to the ring for subsequent classes, she commented on how she saw that they had improved. Positive encouragement!


The show staff was all so helpful and friendly to us and to the children. The facilities are new and improved and so clean and welcoming. Most importantly, though, the children had a fun time and really seemed to learn and engage with the activity while they were there. 


It is fun to watch the next generation learning and getting similar experiences that we had as youngsters and their parents had as youngsters, too. As adults, we sometimes don't realize all the things we know and skills we developed over the years and when we watch our children and grandchildren it reminds us of what it was like to try to incorporate all the things into the experience.


I find that I often need to remind myself that these kinds of opportunities are what made up the whole package of who I became. These experiences also make me hope that these children will build on them and eventually look back to see that it was a wonderful opportunity that most folks miss out on or never have offered to them. I've loved watching the children grow.

- What I've Been Reading -

I read Fly Away Home by Jennifer Weiner this week. It is about a family in the spotlight that is shattered for a time by a poor choice. More importantly, it focuses on how each member of the family moves forward afterward. 


I think what I liked about it most is that each and every character has foibles and faults but still moves forward in a positive direction after reflection and the way they have an influence over one another. After all, whether we like it or not, our family does tend to influence us.

I can't let the week go by without mentioning the weather. My Daddy would be so proud! It is still so very hot here. We are a bit past half-way through September and still experiencing high ninety degree temperatures. Never in my life do I remember having this before. Yep, I am starting to sound like a little old man sitting around at the country store! I hope your weekend is filled with cool fun and relaxation. See you next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment