If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.

Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Treasures for the Roadshow

One of my favorite television programs to have on the TV in the kitchen while I am preparing dinner or unloading the dishwasher is Antiques Roadshow.  I love it when somebody on there has some sort of treasure that their grandparent bought at a yard sale for little-or-nothing and it sets on the hearth for years and then they bring it to Antiques Roadshow and have it appraised to find out it is worth hundreds or even thousands.

Often when something like that happens, I will give my mother a call and ask her why we don't have anything like that in our family heirlooms.  I feel certain that if we went to the appraiser at Antiques Roadshow, we would be like the folks who learn that an item they drug across town and stood in line in the hot sun or the freezing cold to see the appraiser for is only worth about fifteen dollars.

Well, I feel certain the time has come for me to learn that some of our family treasures are going to be revealed as fabulously valuable.  Mama and Aunt Mary have been cleaning out Granny's house and dividing all her worldly goods to give to family members.  Some of these treasures probably have very little more than sentimental value to anybody - like the little square aluminum cake pan with the lid that slides on and off that was used to make gingerbread squares for our fancy tea parties...
That lid slips over the lip of the pan and slides closed with a click to keep the contents fresh!

...or the dented aluminum tea infuser that I remember her putting loose tea leaves in to steep in the hot water for our tea for those same parties...
Notice the handy little hook to slip over the side of the teapot.

Probably not much value in these matching Currier and Ives tin trays that I will hang on the wall next to a farm scene calendar print that Granny's sister gave us...

...and definitely very little value in this Mr. Peanut shaped jar!

For some of this stuff I just have to wonder why Granny would have such and why on earth did she keep it instead of setting it out to be picked up with the recyclables?

But then, why did I wash up Mr. Peanut and set him on the counter?

I just have to laugh at some of these things.

However, do they even make jars shaped like Mr. Peanut anymore?

There is also this treasure...
What in the...?

Yes, I know.

But look a little closer...
Isn't that something?

I don't know if it is some sort of commemorative piece to the Aztecs or if it is some sort of horoscope depiction or if it is something to hang near the door to ward off the haints!  At any rate, isn't it just something?

My Antiques Roadshow piece?

There is this plate...

and its companion platter...
They have this mark on the back.

I found similar plates listed on ebay with prices ranging at $14.99 and up.  Yet, I could never find a platter like this.

So...

Does that mean the platter is a rare and valuable treasure?  Does that mean it is valuable beyond my wildest dreams?  Does that mean this is my Antiques Roadshow piece?

I mean look at the gleaming edge.

And it is hand painted...

and is warranted 22K gold...

Gold!

Which of these things will be my Antiques Roadshow treasure?

None of it probably.  It is fun to speculate and brings a smile to my face when I walk by and think of how Granny must be giggling...

...as she watches us sift through her fine...

...and nice things and...

...search for places for them to call home...

...and wonder...

No comments:

Post a Comment