If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.

Friday, July 3, 2015

Stars and Stripes Decor

The den is decked out in the stars and stripes!
Den

I was inspired by Kim at Savvy Southern Style's Stars and Stripes in the Sun Room.  Particularly inspired by the blue striped pillow shown in the photo below:

A couple of weeks ago Bridgette, her girls, and I went out shopping for a few specific items and some fabrics.  Bridgette was planning to revamp her outdoor cushions and I was hoping to find fabric to coordinate with the quilt for which I still need suggestions, incorporating another fabric for a bed skirt and window treatments.

Bridgette was partly successful.  She found her fabric choices and got her cushions covered and even made artwork - but that is another story for another day.  Once again, I was not successful in finding something to coordinate with my Granny's quilt.  However, I did find a couple of bargain pieces of striped fabric that spoke to me.  At the time I had no idea what I was going to do with either of them. Yet, I have learned that when something speaks to me, I need to listen - and take it home with me!

Next, on a trip to our local Goodwill, while in search of another item, I stumbled across a Euro-pillow form for $4.  Again, it was speaking to me - probably saying, "Bargain!  Score!"  Still, I had no idea how I was going to use these items.

Then, along comes the post by Kim showing off her sun room stars and stripes.  That style pillow has stood out to me before and I would make myself a mental note to remember it when I was fabric browsing and to give it a try.

So, with some $4 fabric, I did just that this week!  It took a bit of geometry thinking - thank you Diane Myers for my favorite high school math class of all time!  (It was the only one I really ever understood.)

Even with the geometric thinking, I still had to take some time to lay out the fabric squares in order to make the design work.

It was really fun to make and I got more and more excited as I continued in creating it.  Now, I just love it!

I paired it with a couple of pillows made from fabric scraps left from other projects and yard-sale pillows as inserts.  We got the printed flags at Sir's Fabrics in Fayetteville, TN.  They were another score on our fabric shopping trip where I got nothing that I really needed!  There were all sizes of flags and I think these were only a dollar.
I moved outside to get a bit more light on a cloudy day - and I like them there, too!

For one of them, I used some navy pin dot fabric left in my stash from ages and ages ago - maybe 15-20 years.  I strip patched it around a white rectangle to back the flag.
Looks good on my basement sectional, too!

Then, because there was no extra space for a seam allowance, I appliqued the flag over the white fabric (former pillow case) with a zig-zag stitch.

For the back, I used a couple pieces of an old chenille bedspread.

For the other, I used some sort of khaki scrap that I have had for about 20 years, too.  I think it was originally bought to make Bryan some shorts when he was about the age of our grands.

Again, I stripped around a lighter cream fabric to back the flag (preventing the backing color/design from bleeding through on the white stripes) and appliqued the flag over the center piece.

The back of this one is a piece of tan and white ticking stripe fabric that was a cast-off from Aunt Mary.

These are all envelope-style covers so I can switch out the covers anytime I get a whim to redecorate!

I book-ended these new pillows with a couple of blue pillows I already had on the sofa and now the den looks quite patriotic!
I spent a grand total of $10 to get a festive holiday look refreshing my den (or almost any room in the house)!

No comments:

Post a Comment