If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.

Sunday, November 29, 2020

A New Front Door!

This house was moved here in the year 2000.  It came from just down the road and around the bend. It was originally built by my mother and father-in-law. Most of the features of the house remained the same, I believe with just a few minor changes. The antique clawfoot tub was replaced with a garden tub with jets. There was a window seat added to the bay window. A tin roof replaced the shingled one. Some simple changes and upgrades. Over the years, some things have needed updating and replacing or repairing but by-and-large this house is very much like when it was built.
We have continued to maintain and update and repair as our budget allows. During the past few years we've replaced the windows and a couple of the exterior doors. At some point the storm door got caught in a wind storm that ripped the hydraulic closer out of the wood frame leaving the storm door where it would not close snugly. Then, last year, we noticed that the sun peeked through the panels in the door each morning. So, we knew it was time to start planning for an update. I started searching and dreaming for what I wanted. Looking through blogs and magazines and Instagram posts. I started pinning colors I might like and styles of doors.

At first, we thought it would be a matter of simply swapping out the door itself. Then, we noticed that it seemed to be connected to the sidelights. So, that became a bit more of a budget planning issue. We had a few other odd jobs that needed some attention - a plug for the pellet grill, a patch in the ceiling drywall, etc. So, I called on my cousin's husband who had recently started a handyman service, The Tool Chest. We shared our ideas and he set up a projected date when he would get started.

First, Richard came and completed the small projects. Before he left for the day, he sat with me here at my computer and we ordered the new door with sidelights and the hardware for the door.  I was somewhat nervous about it because I know so very little about construction and that sort of thing. So, I was glad to have his guidance and knowledge. I mean, I didn't know if I wanted left-hand swing or right-hand swing. I thought I knew but it was so assuring to have Richard confirm what was needed.

Mike said he wasn't picky about it and trusted my judgement. So, I knew I wanted glass in the top half. Being home so much this year made me come to appreciate having the wood door open and the sun streaming in through the storm door. I loved how that lightened up the whole room. I also knew that I wanted a wood finish. The porch furniture we had gotten last year has a wood finish and I really have enjoyed how it feels cozy and makes the porch seem more like an outdoor room of our house. So, I wanted to do the same thing with the door. I also came to the decision that a lighter color would be better because wood usually darkens over time. So, sight-unseen, I pulled the trigger and ordered our front door!

I also debated on changing the hardware. We'd replaced the lanterns on the front porch a few years back and I got black ones that were also easy to swap out the light bulb for. So, I seriously thought about going with oil-rubbed bronze or a black finish for the hardware.  In the end, though, I decided to stick with the brass that was there before. I knew that I liked the handle on the outside that was on the old door but I also wanted the lever-style handle on the inside. I've had arthritis for years and just find the lever handle easier to open. I had read years ago that when you have a glass door, you should have a keyed deadbolt instead of a lever deadbolt.  So, that was also added to my cart - again, sight-unseen. 

The one bobble that I made was with the doorbell. I ordered a brass doorbell that was all metal because the plastic button on the previous one had cracked and broken over the years. The one I ordered was too wide to fit on the door facing. So, we wound up having to go with one that had a plastic button after all.

When the door came in to the local store, Mike and I went over and picked it up. There was a crew of three women and one guy who put it up on two palette jacks and pulled it up onto Mike's trailer. We strapped it down and carefully hauled it home to sit in the barn for a few days.
We commented that we were a bit concerned that it might be difficult for Richard to get up onto the porch but decided that he knew what he was doing and recalled that he had said he would wait till a day when the boys could come help him. So, when it actually came time to unpackage the door and get it up onto the porch, Richard and his bonus son, Noland, had a bit of a struggle.  That thing was just as heavy as it looked! They took the door off the hinges to lighten the load and got it up there.

First the old trim, windows and door came out.
Then, the new went in.
I was working that day. So, I didn't have the opportunity to take many photos. This one came about sort of as a documentation. I was sitting at my desk here in front of the window working through Zoom meeting after Zoom meeting. I paused for a late lunch at around 12:30 or 1 o'clock when I was getting a bit toasty closed up here in this room. I had seen Mike go out the driveway to his haircut appointment. I had also seen Richard and Noland go out the driveway to pick up some needed supplies and their lunch. The day wasn't cold but there was a bit of a briskness about it.  So, when I came into the den and saw the door leaning up against the wall and the opening bare I understood a bit why I had gotten toasty. You see, the thermostat is in the hallway just off the den. The place where the door opening was left uncovered. So, the heat was running overtime trying to warm the space up! I just rolled my eyes and shook my head and said a little prayer that no squirrel or bird came in before the door install was complete.
I don't have a good photo from the interior as yet but I think you can tell how wonderful it is to have the windows and the light shining through.
The exterior view is absolutely beautiful if you ask me! I could not be more pleased with how it looks, the quality of the craftsmanship of the door and sidelights, the quality and beauty of the installation. I am quite smitten with it and think it looks so beautiful that I don't really want to do much decorating for the holidays because I don't want anything to be covered up!
It really does continue the warm and cozy feel that the wood furniture on the porch sets and it looks great from any angle!
We'd love to have you come knocking and walk right through for a visit!

No comments:

Post a Comment