If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.

Sunday, February 28, 2016

What Lies Within

I am writing this post as I sit beside my father's hospital bed looking out the window over the lights of the city at one o'clock in the morning.

I have spent the past few days thinking back.

I have spend the past few days anticipating the future and what it might hold.

I have listened.

I have cajoled.

I have followed along with my hands out, hovering, and at-the-ready to catch him if he stumbled.

I have focused to remain calm.

I have spoken with firmness.

I have spoken with compassion.

I have asked questions.

I have asked more questions.

I have laughed.

I have cried.

I have prayed.

Daddy was recently diagnosed with Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis.

We have struggled to know how best to support him.

There is no good answer.

Maria Shriver's recent post resonates with me as I sit here beside my father's hospital bed looking out the window over the lights of the city at one o'clock in the morning.

Daddy and I both rest peacefully this night knowing that, "What lies behind us and in front of us is nothing compared to what lies within us."

Note: I will periodically post stories relating to Daddy's journey and ours as well.  Please know that I am sharing out of love and compassion and want others to know that I am sharing not what has happened but what we have become as a result.

No comments:

Post a Comment