If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.

Wednesday, March 18, 2020

What's Up? It's Wednesday!

What's up with you all out there in the world?

We are holding onto our little corner with all we've got.  I've been sitting at my desk a lot lately and watching the world go by outside the window. 

Things are starting to green up around here and I, for one, am so glad to see it!  I don't think I have ever been so tired of grey skies and rainy weather. 

After having a few days home, I've begun doing some spring cleaning.  Things around here were starting to look a little bit grey as well - grey with a coating of dust!  Shwew!  So, room-by-room I am doing some cleaning and straightening.  Maybe I will get done in time to start all over again!

I've also done some catching up on my reading.  Here are the books I've had my nose in for the past couple of weeks:


Beware The Past
This has been a good read.  I'm about halfway through it and I haven't figured it out as yet.  So, to me that is a good book. 

The Good Liar
I chose this one thinking it was the book that the recent movie was based upon but it is a different book.  It was a really good one, though.  Haven't we all wished we could just disappear from our lives once in a while?  This one set me thinking about that and what would be missed and who would miss it and all the complications it could cause.  It was a really interesting read but, more importantly, it was thought provoking.

The Vanishing American Adult
This book was recommended by one of my colleagues.  It is really thought provoking and I struggled with it at first.  Then, as I read more in small pieces, it really started to pull me in.  It hits so close to home and is something I see all around me and even inside me a bit.  I'd like to recommend at least parts of it to everybody I know - especially those who are raising children.

The Flower Farmer
I was promised a couple of rows in the garden this summer.  So, I ordered this book to get ideas about flowers that are easy care, good for cutting, and have long life after cutting.  It is a good read and I will probably have it nearby all the rest of this growing season.  I have always loved having fresh flowers in the house and have picked up a bundle each week at the grocery for years.  So, this summer, my intention is to cut a bundle or two and have them to enjoy instead of dropping money at the grocery.  I think the tilling and labor will be as good for me as the view of the flowers.

Home Landscaping
This is an old one that has been on my shelf for years.  I pull it out every now and again because it has such relevant information about landscaping and flowers and shrubbery and hardscaping.  We are thinking of doing some work in our yard this summer and I thought it would be good to give this one a look once again.  It will probably stay on the coffee table for a while so I can pick it up and look at it now and again.

A Place for Everything
I ordered this one after reading a Miss Mustard Seed post and finding a used copy of it for a good price.  It is a beautiful book.  It also has loads of good ideas about making storage beautiful and functional.  It speaks to me about having things that are beautiful but using them for every day life.  As I have been swishing away the dust and tidying up, I have been noticing things I have here with a different eye.  I will keep this one close at hand for quite a while because I am really enjoying the pictures as well as the suggestions.

I have also been reading news updates and posts by locals who have relatives in other countries where this virus has already impacted their lives in a big way.  I'm glad we are on the tail end of this one instead of leading the way.  I am glad to be learning from others who have experience on this one. 

One thing that being home and inside has not seen inspiration is cooking.  For some reason, I just am not enjoying being the kitchen creative lately - as in for the past several months!  Part of this stagnation is because we are so blessed that I can just drive through on the way home from work and that is what we've done a lot this past year.  Part of this is because I just like to eat and I'm not picky!  I have seen a few recipes that I want to give a try, though. 

This Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie looks tasty and easy.

I love a good casserole and might give this one a try.

I recently tried to create a California Crunch Wrap like Taco Bell serves. I don't know how they get all those ingredients in that tortilla and still get it folded up and easy to serve.  So, I'm going to go back to this recipe and enjoy it. 

We have used the waffle iron a bit lately.  I treated Mike to bacon, eggs, and waffles for breakfast one morning.  Then, one night this past week I poured the cornbread batter into waffles to go along with pinto beans for dinner.  Yum!

I created an Instagram account this past year and have been mainly stalking other people's posts.  I've truly been inspired to straighten and tidy after looking at some folks' posts from around their homes.  I also saw some other online ideas that I have shared or pinned to give a try.

I'm on the lookout for an assemblage of stuff that I could put together to make a cloche similar to this one.

I've been looking for reasonably priced topiaries for a couple of items I have here.  Maybe I will just make one

I know that I would never have even looked twice at this table in its original state but after the makeover, wow!

I pulled out a bit of my fabric stash to stitch up some spring-like pillow covers one day this week.  I've also been inspired by some recent blog hops I've followed.  I ordered some wooden eggs and hope to make them look something like these.  Wish me luck.

Well, that is pretty much what's up around here.  Quiet and lots of web surfing for us as we stay home more and enjoy the company.

No comments:

Post a Comment