If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.

Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Soup In A Cup

Oftentimes children have to be coaxed into liking different foods.  I fondly recall that my children were 'good eaters' but that doesn't mean that they liked everything I ever served.

Bridgette, Bryan, and I often will bring up stories from their childhood which cause us to chuckle.  Generally it is in relation to something that their own children are doing.  One thing that we have chuckled about for years is my fondness for tomato soup and the fact that, as a child, Bryan did not share that fondness.

One day I served up tomato soup and we probably had grilled cheese sandwiches as a side item.  Instead of pouring our soup into bowls to be eaten with a spoon, I served the soup up in a mug or a cup.  

Bryan was having none of that.

Honestly, I don't know if he wound up eating something else or if I was that awful mother who told him to do without till dinnertime.  Miraculously, he survived my horrible parenting - whichever option I provided.

That afternoon when we went to the dairy farm to do our chores, Bryan was tagging along with my Daddy and he asked him, "Papaw, do you wike soup in a cup?"  I'm sure my father had a wise response or perhaps asked him a question to find out what type soup was being referenced.  Bryan clarified, asking, "Do you wike wed soup in a cup?" (red soup in a cup)

I can imagine Daddy not criticizing the red soup but not expressing delight either because I don't think it was one of his favorite options.  Daddy was more of a meat, beans, and potatoes kind of a guy and would have wanted something more like beef stew.

Finally, Bryan informed him, "Well, Papaw, I don't WIKE soup in a cup!"  There it was.  His preference stated.  And it was a fact that we all chuckled about when Daddy shared the conversation with us later.

To me tomato soup and a grilled cheese sandwich warms me up like no other meal.  So, when we had a cold, grey, damp, rainy day last week, I warmed up my favorite go-to.  Just like almost always when I have this menu delicacy, I sent Bryan a picture and the message, "Good day for soup in a cup!  Hate you missed it!"

No comments:

Post a Comment