If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.

Sunday, April 5, 2020

Random Sunday Musings

We've been staying home and that is just fine by me.  Oh, I get up and wash my face and put on make-up and tame my hair each morning.  But, I'm sleeping in because my commute to work is so much shorter.  You see, I just walk over to the little desk at the window in my bedroom and boot up my laptop and I'm at work. 

School closed for us in early March and I've been working from home ever since.  Actually, I think I'm working longer hours and more focused on my laptop and work than I ever have been before.  I don't get to walk around the school building and visit classrooms.  I don't get to stop in the hallways and chat with teachers.  I just sit and work.  Of course, more of my work is troubleshooting than ever before because more teachers are asking questions and trying to improve their edutech game.  I'm also able to sneak in a little bit of creativity every now and then to collaborate with a teacher to model a suggested way of sharing materials and information.  I'm also involved in lots of virtual meetings - lots more meetings than I have been all year long!  These meetings are a way for people to share information and get up-to-date on the latest happenings in distance learning.  Plus, they are a vital way for educators to stay connected while staying apart.

With the nice sunshiney weather, I've also been outside a bit.  I've lounged in a front porch rocker reading a couple of Saturdays in a row.  I've spent a couple of afternoons driving the ATV around and picking up limbs and trash.  I've strolled to the mailbox and back a couple of times.

I've also spent lots of time reading, listening to newscasts, listening to podcasts, and generally trying to stay informed.  I'm disheartened at times and overwhelmed at times and heart-warmed at times and awestruck at times by the things I'm learning and seeing.

It almost feels like we've stepped back in time a bit to the days I've read about back in the 1940s.  It has been suggested that we wear masks when we go out to pick up essentials just like back then.  So, my daughter has been crafting them from scraps of fabric for local dentist offices and walk-in clinics.

She sent me the instructions she used and adapted for crafting the ones she's made. 
Like Mr. Rogers suggested, I've been looking for the helpers.  I thought this suggestion was a great one that is really easy to do and will probably do this for our local hospital, doctor's offices, firefighters, grocery workers, etc.

One of my favorite bloggers put together a wonderful post with Tips for Sheltering in Place and I certainly encourage folks to take her tips to heart. 

Sometimes when I'm overwhelmed I find that I need to look into or listen to something that is more upbeat or entertaining than all these news blasts and updates.  One thing that I saw suggested this week was to listen to podcasts with positive and entertaining themes.  I listened to this one yesterday and it really made me smile. Katie Couric has a newsletter called Wake-Up Call which shares news blurbs that are really just enough information but also has some upbeat information as well.

One of the suggestions that I see posted over and over is to reach out and give someone a call or have a video call with them.  Just check in and see how they are doing and ask about their family.  I always think of my Daddy when I see something like that because he was a master at such things.  He loved to chat and would pick up the phone and give folks a call just to touch base and chat.  Of course, that is one of the things I miss about him most because he would touch base with me almost each and every day.  So, I've tried to do that with our children by calling and video calling periodically.  They are pretty good at sending photos of things the children are doing or text messages of funny little things they say and that really peps up the spirits of Mike and me.

I know that I am fortunate and staying at home is pleasant for me in my nice home in the country where I've got plenty of room to roam around or nice spaces to just sit and chill.  I hope that others are finding those spaces of their own and taking this time to really look at how our world is changing and seeking out ways to make it a change for the better in a random, personal sort of way.

No comments:

Post a Comment