If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.

Friday, April 10, 2020

The Rules of the Classroom

I am an educator and my family knows that I put a lot of stock in reading, writing, and learning.  I also know that keeping the learning going while we are staying at home is very, very difficult.

I've checked in on a pretty regular basis to make certain that everybody is doing alright.  I've inquired about everyone's health and that of their extended family and asked about their food and toilet paper supply.

Sometimes I'll ask about their continued education but lots of times I let that go because...well...we are staying at home.  School and learning is hard enough to do when you go to school and learn.  So, when everybody is home and they have to be home ALL THE TIME, some things have to be let go at times and that is all right.

I checked in this morning with my son's family.  I hadn't talked to Jessica in a while and I cannot even imagine being at home ALL THE TIME with a six-year-old-boy who is full-of-energy and a two-year-old girl who is two years old.  I remember those years of having two littles at home with you and it was probably some of the hardest work I ever did.

Anyway, I digress.  Knowing that school is usually a part of the morning routine, I asked if they were having school this morning even though it was Good Friday.  Jessica assured me that they were and reiterated with, "We tend to work better when there is structure and a routine."  I get it. Rambunctious.  Busy.  Boisterous. Bouncing. I get it.

Linley was working on one of her favorite activities - color sorting - but that is another story for another time.  What I was intrigued by is that Jessica informed me that she was really learning a lot from Harris and the curriculum that he has as a kindergartner.  She said they'd had to Google something yesterday to be sure they had gotten it correct.  But that's not all!

She also informed me that when they started using the bonus room as the school room, Harris let her know that they needed some rules.  He liked the rules they had in his classroom at school.  So, he wrote them out and asked her to post them on the wall.

I kind of expected rules like Be Nice To Your Sister or Do What Mama Says.  These rules were all business, though.  The rules involve Hand Signals.  You see, if you need to go to the bathroom, you hold up one finger.  If you are in need of a wipe to clean something off your work area, you hold up two fingers.  Hold up three fingers if you need a pencil.  Four fingers signifies that you need some water.  If you have a question, hold up five fingers.

Jessica let me know that she has a difficult time remembering the rules.  She sees Harris following the rules and sometimes she is attending to Linley and her activity and cannot see the rules posted on the wall to clarify the difference between two and three or something like that and it is a struggle for her.

She sent me a photo of the rules and this message: "Just in case you and Mike need some rules around there."  I think I would be lost in keeping up with the rules, too.  I tried to text her back but I was laughing so hard I could hardly see my keyboard.  I said that maybe I just needed to start waving my hands in the air!
She said, "That should cover it!"

No comments:

Post a Comment