If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.

Tuesday, December 29, 2020

Ole Red

I've posted about the red truck that was my Daddy's pride and joy before. I don't know why I became the caretaker of it because I really thought one of his grandchildren would want the truck as a fun means of transportation. When nobody really wanted to take on the responsibility, I told Mama that I would. So, Ole Red stays parked in Mike's barn for most of the time enjoying a well-earned rest. 
Every now and then I take it out for a Sunday drive and blow the dust off of it. It is fun to drive for nostalgia's sake. Ole Red is a 1969 Ford Ranger pickup truck. Most of it is just like it was when it rolled off the assembly line. Daddy had it painted and new carpet put in it and had the seat recovered years ago. He replaced some pieces of chrome on it and it has a newer tailgate and floor in the bed because I had a Dalmatian dog when I was in high school that rode in it and would sometimes relieve himself on the tailgate, causing it to rust. My sister and Daddy put a newer radio with cassette player in it back in the 1980s when she was driving it to school.  I've had to replace the windshield wipers because the style that came on it are no longer manufactured. (You can see the vintage nature of the ceiling in the photos!) The rest, however is just like it was in 1969!
I always have fun when I take it out but I know that if I am going to have to stop somewhere, I need to have my hair combed and wear decent clothes - not just jump in and go for a joy ride in the old grungies! Why? Because whenever we stop somewhere, inevitably somebody will stroll over and want a closer look and ask what year it was made and where did I get it. 
There have been a whole lot of advancements that I take for granted since 1969. The steering column is longer and makes the steering wheel sit a whole lot closer than my newer truck. The windows are the old crank style that take a little more time and effort to raise and lower. Reaching the wiper control is a bit further from my fingertips because the dash is further from me and the steering wheel is so close to my belly! The headlight dimmer is a button on the floor and there are a few more little things like that which make it different from a newer model pickup.
When I've had to have some upkeep on it like changing the oil or swapping out the wiper blades, the guys at the auto care place always enjoy the opportunity to work on it and many times will have their photo made alongside of it. A couple of other folks wanted to use it for photos as well and one friend told me she thought I could make appointments and charge folks to have their picture made with it! For us it is just a nostalgic ride and a wonderful connection to my Daddy. 
It almost always brings a smile to my face and to those around me when we take it out, though. I think Daddy would be glad every time we go out for a joy ride and I hope to pass it along to somebody else in the family to enjoy some day down the road. Of course, that means that it will have to be somebody who learns to drive a standard shift, on-the-collar!
In the meantime, we will just smile and scoot on down the road for a joy ride. If you see us, wave!

No comments:

Post a Comment