If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.

Tuesday, December 22, 2020

Virtual Learning

People have had all sorts of reactions to virtual learning. I, personally, am the first to admit that it is not the very best experience for learners and certainly isn't the best situation for educators. I will say that I am so thankful for the opportunity for children to learn virtually when other options are not available due to the pandemic.  I'm also grateful for the opportunity to see into one of my granddaughter's learning experience.

A few weeks back her school sent home a Chromebook and implemented a few virtual practice days in preparation for if and when they would have to go completely virtual.  My daughter, Bridgette, said that Luci, her kindergarten-aged daughter was so excited. The entire school experience has been sort of a thrill for her, I think!

You see, she has two older sisters who are middle school aged and she has watched them go off to this mysterious place for learning all of her life. She also knows that this is where they have learned things like reading, which seems fascinating for almost every kindergartener I've ever met. So, she was excited to get started with that experience.

Then, when she got to bring a Chromebook home like the older sisters and have her own virtual school meeting, I think she really felt important and grown up like them! Bridgette said that she started talking about the experience as she was climbing into the vehicle in the car-rider school pick-up line! 

"I got to bring my Chromebook home today because we are going to have virtual learning tomorrow! Mrs. MOSES (She always says the teacher's name as if all of the letters are capitalized with importance.) said that I could practice this afternoon for fifteen minutes..." and the information continued for the next half-hour, according to Bridgette.  

Upon arriving at home, Luci got a snack and then set up her Chromebook on the dining room table. She stepped into the kitchen and said, "Google! Set a fifteen minute timer!" Then, she sat down to do her practicing.

Shortly thereafter, a sing-song sort of sound began blaring from the Chromebook and her sixth grade sister, Lydia's eyes got very round, according to Bridgette. Lydia quickly said, "Luci, we need to connect your headphones to your Chromebook right now!" And, they set about connecting the headphones so the entire household didn't have to listen to the kindergarten tune.

After getting that squared away, Lydia went back to the sofa to relax after her school day.  Within a matter of minutes, Bridgett said, Luci began to sing along to the new kindergarten tune that must have been piped through the headphones.  Bridgette said, "I just stuck my head around the kitchen door and looked at Lydia and said, 'What are you going to do about that now?'" She said she got a huge sigh and eye roll from big sister. Bless it!


When virtual learning takes place in their household, quiet spaces are sometimes hard to find for all three of the learners. On this particular day, Luci was sitting in the middle of her parents' bed to have a space of her own with some parental support and supervision (and photography that was shared with Grand B). Obviously she was either identifying number words or indicating which number in a sequence in the top photo and then was writing as the teacher was requesting in the second.


This day of virtual learning started with the pledge and then Luci settled in to practicing sight words. Bridgette said that she would hear a word or see the flash card that the teacher held up to her own screen. Then, would write the word on her spiral notebook and hold it up to show the teacher or recite the word. Look at that face of seriousness and rapt attention!


This virtual learning day found Luci set up on the coffee table in the den with her Chromebook and going through the motions of a learning activity and then sitting at rapt attention to the screen with her blue screen glasses on.  (If you look closely, you can see her older sister, Lydia, sitting at the dining room table participating in her virtual learning time.) Again, look at how Luci is tuned in and focused on learning!

I know that this situation is far less than ideal for these girls. I also know that they will probably remember this experience for the rest of their lives. Further, I know that they will be all the better in the future for having this experience. I have two strong take-aways from this:
  1. I wish we could bottle that enthusiasm for learning that kindergarteners like Luci have. Then, we could just share it with them throughout their school careers during times of struggle.  I really wish we could make the educational experience for all students be what these moments captured here are and make them last throughout a child's school career.
  2. I am so thankful for this time that I got to have a window into my granddaughter's learning experience. As an educator, myself, I cannot visit their classrooms or volunteer at their schools like I wish I could to get that window into their learning and their lives. So, having this virtual experience where Bridgette could capture it with her camera on her phone is priceless to me!


No comments:

Post a Comment