If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Beans, Beans. They're good for your heart.

I have the most wonderful husband in the world.  Today, as a treat for him, I decided that I would cook something for dinner that he really loves.  So, I dumped the bag of white beans onto the counter and sorted through them and swept them into the pot.  I covered them with water, added the secret recipe flavoring, and set them on to boil.  Carefully watching them, I waited till the water had come to a rolling boil and immediately turned the heat down so that it would just barely bubble.  Popped the lid on and tromped out the door.  I had a couple of chores to do and then I came back into the house.  Oh, the delectible fragrance wafting across the room to greet me!  Yum!  So, I tip-toed over and checked the beans and gave them a swirl.  Then, wonder of wonders, I remembered and set the timer and left them alone for an entire hour. 

When Mike came in, he was all smiles at the fragrance which greeted him.  I thought I was finally getting this straight-to-the-heart-sort-of-loving down.  Yippee!  Go me!  Then, I went in and mixed up the cornbread - trying to remember all the tips my mother had given me to try to make it the thin, crusty way Mike has said he likes it.  Into the oven went the cornbread and I plopped down on the couch to chat with my sweet husband and catch up with the day. 

Sniff.  Sniff.  Oh no!  I could smell the scorchiness.  Yep, I burnt the beans!  ARGH!!!  That wasn't tragic enough though.  While I was using every curse word I know and making up a few new ones and trying to salvage the topmost sector of the beans, the next thing I know there is a trickle of smoke escaping from the oven - Oh no!  Yep, I burnt the cornbread, too!  Heaping more cursing onto this new disaster, I just couldn't help it.  The tears began to flow.  My treat for Mike was a devastating disaster.  Plus, we now had nothing to eat for dinner because we had taken the leftovers from last night as lunch today. 

Just like the song says, Mike eased over to me and wrapped his arms around me and let me cry.  He was probably murmuring some sort of reassurance the entire time but finally I stopped sobbing and heard him say, "Baby, it was only a ninety-nine cent bag of beans."  You know, at the end of the day, that is really the truth and what matters most is that he realized that the gift was the fact that I had tried to have something special just for him.  With a kiss, he brushed a tear away and assured me that he loves me. 

I have the most wonderful husband in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment