If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.

Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Warm Memories and Anticipation

When I was a young girl, my grandparents lived in a big, rambling farmhouse.  It had some features that are built into my childhood memories.  One of those features was what I always thought of as a reading nook.  I searched online for photos of a similar home feature and didn't find anything that was exactly the same.  However, I did stumble across something that will help illustrate.
There were built-in benches on either side of the fireplace in my grandparents' living room.  I thought it was one of the most special places in all the world.  The floor between the benches was tiled.  Above the mantel was a wallpaper mural.  Unlike the photo above, this area was completely open and a part of the large, open living room.
There were shelves which flanked the hearth much like those in the photos here.  Those shelves held a plethora of books and I considered these a treasure.

One particular shelf held a collection of literature that my aunts and mother had read as young girls.  It was the series written by Lucy Maud Montgomery which began with Anne of Green Gables.  Those books looked much like this.  I wanted to read them after Granny told me that Mom and her sisters had read them as young girls.  I pretty much fell in love after opening the first cover.  Maybe I was a bit of a dreamer like the main character.

So, years later when PBS offered the award winning series starring Megan Fallows, even as an adult, I was ecstatic to be able to see one of my childhood memories come to life in film.  The beautiful series made me put Prince Edward Island on my list of places I would love to visit.

So, when I saw an advertisement earlier this week, I felt that flutter of excitement all over again.  I am excited because I think it is an opportunity to see a new interpretation of Anne of Green Gables but it is also a catalyst that makes me want to share my love of the books and the old television series with my granddaughters.  I look forward to passing that along.  So, I feel just like the first line of this post.  This news made my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment