If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.

Friday, March 4, 2016

Uplifting and Blessings

My Daddy was discharged from his hospital stay of several days earlier this week.  Mom brought him home and contracted with hospice to support them.  We have moments of merriment and moments when we fight tears.  Mostly, we have time to cherish and count our blessings.

The visits from the hospice nurses have already proven to us that some people have wings tucked up under their shirts.  Those women have been golden thus far.  They reassure and coach my mother and give Daddy care and attention as they document his health.

We are learning how to support and make these days comfortable and cope-able.

I can honestly say that I'm not surprised at how my parents friends and neighbors have supported them with visits and delicious meals to make things easier.

I also am grateful to be surrounded with my own friends and family who call just to check in or who send me text and voice messages to uplift our spirits.

A perfect example of such a moment of lifting happened yesterday morning as I was getting ready to leave home for work.

Out of the blue, I got a text message from a friend of mine with whom I kept company as an undergraduate more than thirty years ago.  This is a friend whose path and mine have crossed several times over the years and we can just pick up where we left off in a conversation even though it has been months or even years since we last were together.  Her father died after an extended illness several years ago.  So, when I got her message, I knew that she was thinking of that time and lifting us up.  Here is our exchange.


No comments:

Post a Comment